Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Daffynition December/January    

Daffynition December/January

jfaraujo
Portugal

Daffynition December/January

Hi guys!

Having won the Daffynition competition, I challange you to give the silliest and funniest daffynitions to this word:

apricate

Have fun!

jfaraujo 

16 Dec 2023      

spinney
United Kingdom

I thought everybody knew this. Apricate is, of course, the past of apriceat, meaning to eat apricots

16 Dec 2023     

mfraczek
France

Not at all Spinney!
Apriceat refers to a person who appreciates (the verb used to be written apriciate in old English) eating chocolate in April. The term appreciative April chocolate eater was too long and was so much used that some syllables disappeared. 

16 Dec 2023     

douglas
United States

Similar to abdicate (giving up one�s throne), apricate is to give up apricots. "I have decided to apricate my diet."

18 Dec 2023     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Sorry guys, it has nothing to do with apricots. I will say that in terms of apricots, Spanish ones are better than Swedish ones. To apricate is to seek new openings for yourself via a social setting. You spot the most impressive person in the room, who may be able to open doors for you one day or another and you smile, smarm and generally butter them up. That promotion will be yours! 

18 Dec 2023     

savilla
Australia

Actually to "apricate" is to apply some kind of adhesive or glue to a surface, usually to join it to another surface or object.

25 Dec 2023