Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > My best lesson    

My best lesson

cunliffe
United Kingdom

My best lesson

What is the best lesson you have ever had? Or the best lesson you have ever given? I was just wondering... 

Lynne  

4 Apr 2024      

EstherLee76
Peru

Glad you asked Lynne. 

I once taught a class on art, specifically pointillism, to a kindergarten class. Beforehand, I taught some fourth grades how to Paint a simple flower with Q-Tips, dots and different paints. On the day of the class, after a presentation, I brought the 5-year-olds to the cafeteria. The fourth graders were waiting them. They each took a group of students and showed them how to do the painting. All the children worked quietly, intent on their projects. We teachers just sat by and watch. It was just beautiful.

4 Apr 2024     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

That is great Esther. That is when you know you have got it absolutely right. Interest, engagement, co-operation, pupils teaching their peers or younger pupils what they have learned. 

5 Apr 2024     

spinney
United Kingdom

I tend to find the best classes are the ones I struggle with at first. Recently, I used a train timetable to teach frequency with how many times and words such as once, twice, three times a day, hour, etc. This then extends to how long something takes and how much something costs. This all ends in a short role-play and I find it boosts the self confidence of the students at low levels to be able to do something practical. I always find this lesson plan rewarding. I do a similar thing with asking for and giving directions at low levels for the same reasons. I get a nice sense of achievement from this.

For higher-level groups, I use this very short clip from the BBC archives with a question list and a debate section afterwards. This can take up to an hour and the result is always rather interesting. You can even get the students to write and ask their own questions and then lead a series of debates on the clip, which only lasts 2 minutes. A wonderful class for advanced level. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ywODcJ8yu8&t=7s

5 Apr 2024     

abotius
Albania

For your higher-level groups, incorporating media like a BBC clip is a great way to stimulate discussion and critical thinking. Visit ProCADIS.com to purchase Autodesk AutoCAD LT 2024 online. It�s impressive how you manage to extend a 2-minute clip into an hour-long educational debate, which speaks to your ability to facilitate in-depth discussions and encourage student participation.

5 Apr 2024     

asungilsanz
Spain

Spam again!!!

6 Apr 2024     

jannabanna
France

Something I always loved doing in order to present a reading comprehention text and the students loved it too.  I just wrote the title of the text on the board and gave each student a blank sheet of paper.  I asked each student to imagine 12 words which could be included in the text and write them on their sheet.  They then passed them on the the student next to them (it works much better if they are seated in a circle).  Now each student has a set of 12 new words, he/she has to invent the first paragraph using 3 words from the list and crossing them out.  The paragraph doesn�t have to be long just a couple of sentences would do depending on their level of course. Once again the sheet is passed on (if the class has sufficient students you could pass it round to the 2nd of 3rd student).  Repeat again for the second, third and conclusive paragraphs making sure the students cross off the words they have used.  When finished pass the sheets on again (so that the student doesn�t read what he/she has just written) and each student reads their texts, first to themselves and then out loud to the class.  The texts are often hilarious and nothing to do with the text I was about to introduce.  When we actually get round to reading the original text, they will be much more attentive!

7 Apr 2024     

FrauSue
France

I like carousel lessons - although they take a lot of effort to set up, it is great to see all the learners working independently.
I have a listening station with video/audio and a lit of questions, a reading station with a text and questions, a vocabulary station with a vocabulary list and exercises, a writing station with a short writing task, and usually a speaking station with me or a language assistant. I provide answer keys too and at the end of each time period they check their work and then move on to the next station. This works really well as a revision lesson at the end of a long unit.

7 Apr 2024     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Thanks for your replies, very interesting. The clip Dale reminded me of two students I once had, I�ll leave you to guess how long ago. They were two Japanese ladies in Wolverhampton. Their husbands were working on such a thing as a mobile phone! They brought prototypes in to show the class and they were huge! 

I got stuck on a method I found on here. It was called, or I thought it was - Lauriane�s lesson. You tell a story by drawing images, eliciting answers, then recap, then �what would have happened if he/she hadn�t....? You could adapt many a newspaper report for this and the kids loved it as the mini whiteboards and marker pens were involved!  
Lynne  

8 Apr 2024     

spinney
United Kingdom

I think I might start doing some more short debates and lesson plans related to Youtube videos next week. A valuable resource, to be sure. I managed to find an old Youtube video taken from a British TV report from 1964 where there were some lovely Fenland accents and, by pure luck, happened to spot my uncle sitting on a hilltop, complaining about the food while serving in the British army. There is debate over his voice by his brothers and sisters (he is sadly no longer with us), but the dashing good looks and his tattoo are clearly his. Just goes to show what you can turn up, sometimes. 

18 Apr 2024