Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > second conditional    

second conditional

henry2001
Indonesia

second conditional

Without the invention of the telephone, we cannot talk to each other so easily whenever we want. →If ___________________________________________________________________ If the telephone weren�t invented, we couldn�t talk to each other so easily whenever we wanted. or If the telephone were invented, we could talk to each other so easily whenever we wanted. wht is right? Thanks a lot!

7 Apr 2024      

spinney
United Kingdom

For me, If the telephone were not invented we would not be able to talk to each other so easily whenever we wanted (to). 
Well, it sounds better to me like this, anyway.  

11 Apr 2024     

FrauSue
France

If the telephone hadn�t (or: had never) been invented, we wouldn�t be able to talk to each other whenever we wanted.
If the telephone hadn�t (or: had never) been invented, we wouldn�t be able to talk to each other so easily. 

12 Apr 2024     

haska7
Hong Kong

I would re-write it as such, "Without the invention of the telephone, we wouldn�t be able to talk to each other as easily."

17 Apr 2024     

spinney
United Kingdom

To be fair, this has spurned me on to make another worksheet but on mixed conditionals, after seeing the excellent example by FrauSue. I have not seen much on mixed conditionals in the grammar books, but in this case, I think hers would be the most used, although the example by haska7 would get said, too. 

18 Apr 2024     

jannabanna
France

Yes, but Henry 2001 needed a sentence starting with IF, so I agree with FrauSue and that�s what I would have said as a native Brit.

You�ll find a lot of worksheets, PPTs and online exercises on conditionals on this site.  I have several myself.

28 Apr 2024