Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > why -Metal is expanded when heated- is wrong? And why -Inflation was increased over the last six months.- is wrong?    

why -Metal is expanded when heated- is wrong? And why -Inflation was increased over the last six months.- is wrong?

mari18cf
Brazil

why -Metal is expanded when heated- is wrong? And why -Inflation was increased over the last six months.- is wrong?

In the following pairs of sentences, a, b or both are correct. Put a cross (X) next to every sentence that is incorrect. Write the correction. 

Example: 
a) Drop a line when you get there. 
b) He was upset to discover he dropped from the team. (X) (had been/ was dropped) 

1- a Inflation was increased over the last six months. X (has increased) 
b My salary was increased by just over 5 percent. (correct) 

2- a They have expanded production facilities at the Old factory. (correct)
 b Metal is expanded when heated. X (expands) 

* I understand -Metal expands when heated- is correct because it is an ergative verb. But why -Metal is expanded when heated- is wrong? 

* I also understand -Inflation has increased by just over 50 percent- is right. But why -Inflation was increased over the last six months.- is wrong? Thanks in advance!

26 Jun 2024      

viccxx
Greece

Because inflation is something that rises on its own (theoretically). It isn�t raised by someone in particular. 
In general, if you can�t add the agent, the "by...." part, the sentence shouldn�t be in passive. Ask yourself, if I wanted to add an agent, "inflation was raised by...." - by whom? You wouldn�t be able to come up with an answer, would you?
edited to say: the same goes with metal...it isn�t expanded by someone. It expands on it�s own.

26 Jun 2024     

mari18cf
Brazil

Great answer. Thanks a lot!

26 Jun 2024     

odecluster
United States

Hi viccxx, Can you provide more examples where passive voice is misleading? Hope to see your response soon! geometry dash

12 Aug 2024