Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Italian teachers need help in the primary classroom    

Italian teachers need help in the primary classroom

butterfly english
Italy

Italian teachers need help in the primary classroom

Hi everybody,

I ´ve just discovered eslprintables and I think it ´s a fantastic idea, I ´m really looking forward to downloading some graet work sheets. Teachers unite and we can all help each other world wide.

However I have a small problem I have been asked to do a seminar on helping language teachers with their use of english in the classdroom and how to help them become more confident teachers. Can you english language teachers who are not of mother tongue english give me some insight on your problems with english when teaching to kids and any idea how you can be helped. This of course applies to all and not just italian teachers of english.

Really looking forward to reading your views and suggestions.

Thanks

Mary

23 Mar 2009      

rach81
Philippines

Hi Butterfly,

I teach ESL here in the Philippines and I have been teaching for five years already. Base from my personal experience here, one of my problems is how to make students understand the language itself since English is not their native tongue. It is then I discovered that my students lack vocabularies in English so I started giving them activities on how to improve their vocabularies in English.

Another problem is how to improve our students command in the use of the English Language. It ´s really very difficult for them to be expressing themselves using the English language but still I encourage them to use the language often, most especially when they are in my class because I believe that practice makes perfect.

I allow them to commit mistakes for awhile when they are to express themselves and if they are to give their ideas on a certain topic anyway mastery will come eventually as their knowledge in the language broadens and as they come to learn grammar rules. Well that ´s what I think.

I hope this answers your question and I hope this helps!

Good luck!

Rach81

23 Mar 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

I believe in teaching English in English and my students are not allowed to speak their mother tongue in my English classroom. I set my rules in the first class I have with my students. If I do need to speak French to them, which is maybe 2-3 times a schoolyear,I take them in another room, explain briefly and then we go back to our classroom. I discover this was more effective and they now understand that the English classroom is for ESL.

In my experience, it comes down to planning. When I plan my lessons, I always ask myself where the students might experience understanding problems and how I can support them with those problems. A lot of time, it comes down to resources: posters of the vocabulary needed, help boxes with the sentences needed for a specific activity. I do a lot of modeling. Before I ask them to write, I do a text with them myself and go over the process on how to revise. The model is available as a resource to them. Before I let them do a speaking task, I model it with a student.

When I hear French, their mother tongue,(hey, they ´re not perfect)  I always provide the students with the ESL language they should have used instead and ask them to repeat.

It ´s pretty amazing what a kid can do once they understand and see how far they can go when they take a task seriously.

23 Mar 2009     

puspita
Indonesia

Boosting up teacher ´s self confidence? Hmm, I don ´t have much to say anything new: lesson planning, observation, co-teaching? I guess the thing is that we have to be comfortable with our students, vice versa.  And of course, reflecting the teaching we have done; which activity might have worked well in line with the objective, etc.

23 Mar 2009