Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > English contest    

English contest

naty7909
Moldova

English contest

Can you suggest any ideas, activities for an English contest (intermediate)?

23 Mar 2009      

arlissa
United States

I �ve played a game before that I call sentence scramble. I created some sentence, printed them out, cut the words for each sentence apart, then paperclip the words for one sentence together. Do that for all the sentences. Then, give each student a partner and two scrambled sentences. Each set of partners work together to unscramble the sentences quickly. The teacher must check to approve that it is correct, then both students must write them down. Then they get two new scrambled sentences. Keep record on the board of how many sentences each team has gotten correct, and have a timer to stop in 10 minutes. When the timer beeps, the team with the most points wins.

23 Mar 2009     

naty7909
Moldova

Thanks for the nice idea! Thumbs UpIt �s very useful and interesting. I shall use it for sure.

23 Mar 2009     

Damielle
Argentina

I prepared a set of General knowledge questions and gave them 10 seconds to anwer. I read them aloud one after another, staying silent for about 10 or 20 seconds. If they couldn �t answer, I continued. They got one point for each correct answer. The time limit was 3 minutes for each team.

23 Mar 2009     

Isabel L
Spain

I made my students write questions about different subjects for a Trivial game and then they made the board. I used it as a revision of different subjects in a bilingual school. They liked asking the questions, not only having to answer them as they usually do.
Hope it helps

23 Mar 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

There �s a quiz here called Musical Puzzle (though it has nothing to do with music). There are a few short games within it that i adapted to my English classes.
1. my word - make up a word from the given letters (they can choose to draw vowels and consonants, or you could just give them a 12 letter word) the number of used letters is the number of points they will get
2. my number - they pick 4 one-figure numbers (9, 8, 2, 8), 1 two-figure number (15, 20, 25 - say 20) and one of the three (25, 50, 100 - say 50) and then you assign a three-figure number they have to get with the given numbers. Say 734. They can only use the given numbers once.
(8+8)x50 - (2x20 + 9) = 800 - 49 = 751
They do not have to get the exact number, just to be as close as possible. Of course, they have to know the vocabulary: plus, multiplied by, etc.
3. Who knows, knows - Qs about anything, or about the things you covered with them
4. Matching - pairs of words (Mickey&Minnie, Beauty&Beast, etc.) They should belong to the same category. You can put synonyms, or antonyms.
5. Associations - i already told you about this one, we played it here http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=4729

Games 1, 2 and 4 are timed. Usually there are two associations, to give a chance to the other team to win/lose.

23 Mar 2009