Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > my favourite food is ...    

my favourite food is ...

sebas555
Chile

my favourite food is ...

which is correct ?
my favourite food IS tomatoes
or
my favourite food Are tomatoes.

thanks

23 Mar 2009      

VeraM
Portugal

I guess the right answer would be "My favourite food is..."
If you had to replace the subject with a personal pronoun, you would say "It is..."
I think the verb should match the subject of the sentence, right?

23 Mar 2009     

sebas555
Chile

yes i thought the same. but it didnt ring the bell to me to say
my favourite food is tomatoes.

23 Mar 2009     

miss noor
Palestine

My favourite food is................

23 Mar 2009     

Zora
Canada

We had this discussion not that long ago but I can �t find the link!!

Here �s what I wrote ...

Favourite implies a singular answer, but "food" is ambiguous. Imagine that you were a vegetarian. You would be inclined to say that your favourite food was not a vegetable, but vegetables: yet food remains singular - at least in form. Substitute food by the synonym "fare" and the problem disappears because "fare" does not connote singularity like food does.

i.e.
"My favourite fare is burgers and fries - here not anyone thinks it �s weird sounding, so you would also say "My favorite food is burgers"...

OR my favorite foodS are burgers, fries and hotdogs!

23 Mar 2009     

GIOVANNI
Canada

Hi Silke:  In Canada we have always used �my favourite food is tomatoes �  I havn �t heard too many people using �my favourite food are tomatoes �.  Hope this helps.

23 Mar 2009     

eng789
Israel

We did this last week.    My favorite food is tomatoes.   The verb matches the subject. 

Food is singular.       The food is delicious.

23 Mar 2009     

eng789
Israel

Tomatoes are my favourite food.     is good -   tomatoes is plural therefore "are"

23 Mar 2009     

wolfy
Chile

Good question:

My favourite food is cheese. �Sorry not really into tomatoes

23 Mar 2009     

ameliarator
United States

You can say "My favorite food is tomatoes" or "tomatoes are my favorite food." �"Food" is an uncountable noun which takes the third person singular verb form, in this case "is." �"Tomatoes" is a plural noun, so it takes the third person plural verb form "are." �The meaning of the two sentences is the same.

23 Mar 2009     

lillizen
Brazil

"So I could NEVER EVER say, "tomatoes are my favourite food"? Just "my favourite food is tomatoes"? Please, assure me, because I really want to know!!! " (ladybird)

I think both are right. However, "Tomatoes is my favorite food" would be incorrect to say, as well as "my favo(u)rite food are tomatoes".

In the sentence, "My favorite food is (whatever)", the subject is "My favorite food" = it. This way, verb = is.

In the sentence, "Tomatoes are my favorite food",
the subject is "Tomatoes" = they. This way, verb = are.

23 Mar 2009     

1    2    Next >