Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Difference between IF and WHEN    

Difference between IF and WHEN

moravc
Czech Republic

Difference between IF and WHEN

Do you know a worksheet / boardgame on difference between IF and WHEN ?
Tell me please about it !

When mother comes home, she will cook dinner. (she is expected to come...)
If mother comes home, she will cook dinner. (she sometimes stays at work till night, she may come but we aren´t sure about it)

Is there a pretty website - worksheet - fill-in exercise on internet???
Please HEELP !

24 Mar 2009      

Zora
Canada

When - means that she is returning or coming home at a certain time (most likely)....

and

If - means that she might come home, but maybe she won �t... it �s uncertain...

24 Mar 2009     

moravc
Czech Republic

anaisabel sent me this perfect link to "if /when" exercise
http://www.englishpage.com/conditional/conditional1.htm 

THANK YOU VERY MUCH ANAISA !

24 Mar 2009     

roneydirt
United States

The link was good and used it on the Korean English teachers as part of their lesson.  Got to love it being in a different country and you are testing the teachers and students and the students do better. 

I will have to start posting some of the revamp lessons and games I have used.  but here is the question for all is it an original lesson when you use someone else �s material but you revamp it to fit what your focus point is on?   Like taking Taboo and changing some of the rules and words used to fit the range the students you are teaching?

24 Mar 2009     

Logos
Malaysia

Roneydirt (what an unusual name!!) this is precisely what most teachers actually do.  There are relatively few totally original worksheets.  If you just adapt an idea then there is no need to worry, but if you copy much of the original worksheet you should acknowledge the source in your worksheet.

I �ll give you an example.  If you take a game like jeopardy or taboo and use all your own questions there is no need to acknowledge the source of the actual game (unless you want to)  but if you take pictures, sentences and questions from a published article and incorporate them with your own material then you should acknowledge where the original material was adapted from.

Please remember though, there are some sites which do not permit their material to be published, even as part of another work.  I know that the illustrations from MES English are fantastic and can be used in lots of different ways, but one condition of this site is that even simple illustrations are not used in other people �s worksheets.

If you are adapting an idea from a worksheet published here in ESL printables, it would be considered polite to contact the originator and ask them if what you are doing is not �stealing � their material.  It is okay to adapt and change material, but not just copy it without any original input.

Hope this helps

24 Mar 2009     

freddie
Canada

Logos

With all due respect, I think if one took pictures and sentences and questions from a published source, that is NOT permitted even if you acknowledge the source, and is certainly not what MOST people do. I believe it has been said that taking pictures or a reading text is OK, if we acknowledge the source but THE EXERCISES WITH THE PICTURES or TEXT MUST BE ALL OUR OWN WORK!!

Perhaps this is what you meant but it didn`t read that way to me. Or am I the one who is mistaken?  Confused

Of course I agree with the rest of your good advice.

Cheers all! And a Happy Morning to those waking up! Big smile

24 Mar 2009     

Logos
Malaysia

By implication then the rule THE EXERCISES WITH THE PICTURES or TEXT MUST BE ALL OUR OWN WORK means that you cannot use material which you did not make.  So the use of freely available royalty free clipart is NOT permitted, because YOU did not produce it. 

The copying of a quote or question from a site or other worksheet is not permitted because YOU did not write those exact words.I I think not.

Common sense is required here and I stand by my statement that most printables take illustrations from other sources - very few of us are talented enough to create our own drawings, to scan them and produce them as our own.  I notice on your extremely well produced worksheets that you have a large number of pictures and if you drew all these and produced them yourself then I take my hat off to you and apologise.  Sadly, the majority of us are not so talented.

I don �t think I implied that the wholesale copying of material is acceptable in my last post and if there is any ambiguity then I apologise

24 Mar 2009     

freddie
Canada

Hi again Logos

I think we are saying more or less the same thing. Of course I do not have the talent to create my own pictures! I wish! I believe I said that pictures and reading texts are acknowledged by all to be permitted, but the exercises that accompany the pictures etc must be our own work. * sigh * I`m so sorry if I have caused any discord. I have the greatest respect for you and your helpful presence in this community. My intention was to be clear about the mention you made of `sentences and questions`. I thought some members may interpret this as `take the exercises of a source as is` and acknowledge the source, which I don`t think would be OK. But perhaps I am wrong about that. And I do agree completely that common sense is required but as you can see from the constant flow of stolen worksheet discussion, not all of our members use theirs.

I`m not sure if I have clarified my point, it is difficult to discuss particulars without going into alot of detail. Again sorry for any misunderstanding.

Have a great day everyone! I`m off to work!

24 Mar 2009     

Logos
Malaysia

Thanks Freddie, it is good that we can open this topic so that we can help others to be more aware of this issue.  It is not such a black and white regulation and I hope that common sense will prevail by all and abide by the spirit of the site, if not by the exact letter of the law.  No offence taken and I hope no offence given.

24 Mar 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

Dear moravc
Czech Republic

1 - "When" can be a time conjunction to show at what moment an action was/is/will be performed; When mother comes home she will cook the dinner. (=Mother will cook the dinner at the moment she gets home. Now she �s out.)

2 - "When" can used as condition conjunction (type 0) to express that a certain effect always occurs when a certain condition is fulfilled; When you heat water at 100�, it boils/evaporates.
   - This is the only case when "When" can be interchanged with "if"; If you heat water at 100�, it boils.

3 - "If" is used to express conditional situations and/or suppositions. Here "if"can be replaced by other expressions/conjunctions (unless, as long as, X wish, in case, provided that...)  but not by "when".

- Type 01: If you work hard, you will succeed. (possibility)
   - Type 02: If he had money, he would  buy a new car. (= He can �t buy a new car because he   had no money = unreal present)
   - Type 03: If he had worked hard, he would have succeeded. (= He didn �t succeed because he didn �t work hard. = Unreal past)

24 Mar 2009