Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > IT WAS NOT STOLEN!!!!!1    

IT WAS NOT STOLEN!!!!!1

frezya
Turkey

IT WAS NOT STOLEN!!!!!1

Today I received a message from Victor saying my contribution (flashcards - places in a city) was copied from englishraven.com and I am really disappointed and angry to hear that. Do you know how much time I spent finding suitable pictures on different sites and microsoft?  How can you people be so sure that I copied these exactly from englishraven .com? First I looked through the clipart sites and microsoft.com then I arranged their frames, frame colours and also I add some little people and object images on the pictures. Everybody uses images or cliparts from different sources. Is it banned to use pictures unless you have created them? If so, every flash-card with images and clipart here in the site is a copy. If you look carefully you �ll see that none of the picture is a copy. Everybody can find these pictures on microsoft.com or any other clipart sites.You don �t know how much effort I gave and I am being accused for something I did never and I will never do. I have been working as an English teacher for 14 years and I have never copied or stolen anything and shown it as it was mine. I am really disappointed and I really am angry for this unfair accusation. Really... I am expecting an apology in the general forum window!!!!!! And I want my contribution back  because it is mine. NOBODY CAN ACCUSE ME FOR SOMETHING I DIDN �T DO!!!!!! 

24 Mar 2009      

victor
Spain

Hello,

Please try to calm down. You are not the first whose contributions have been deleted by error.
Every day I have to review lots of reported contributions, so I can �t make a deep analysis of each one of them. If you have been accused by error, you just have to send me a message.

I �ve just restored your contribution and your points.

24 Mar 2009     

alien boy
Japan

This is a quote directly from the English Raven website:

Please also note that an English Raven membership entitles you to download, store, print, copy and use the various materials for your personal classroom teaching purposes. All materials remain copyrighted to English Raven Educational Services, and may not be copied or sold for profit without express permission.
(my highlight & underlining)

This would imply that by copying, amending & redistributing  their artwork you are actually violating their legal rights to their artwork, especially as their business is in the field of English language education.

According to most copyright law internationally you are able to use images for educational non-profit purposes as long as there is no conflict of commercial interest. As stated, English Raven is in the ESL business, so there is a possibility of conflict of commercial interest.

Cheers,
AB

P.S. In case you�re wondering... no, I didn�t report your flashcards.. I usually make my own!

P.P.S. This may not be too different from mes-english.com in nature.

24 Mar 2009     

Logos
Malaysia

Your answer Alien Boy presents an excellent interpretation of the principles of using illustrations from other sites, particularly �sister � sites which have similar sort of content.  I wonder if Victor, in his rules and regulations could even specify the certain sites that do not permit their images to be used.  I know MES English is one and now you have pointed out English Raven.  If there are others then submitters to this site should be made aware of these restrictions, to avoid any embarassing letters of cancellation in the future.

24 Mar 2009     

victor
Spain

Well, I think there is no copyright violation here because there is no reason to think that those pictures were taken from englishraven.com. I �ve checked it and it is true that you can find them in microsoft clipart, for example.

24 Mar 2009