Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Old-fashioned or acceptable?    

Old-fashioned or acceptable?

baiba
Latvia

Old-fashioned or acceptable?

Hi everybody!
I would like a tip from native speakers (or anyone who can help). Is the phrase �Oh, gosh! � used nowadays or is it old-fashioned?
Can you suggest other phrases to use instead of �Oh, gosh�?

Thanks!
Baiba

24 Mar 2009      

brookee
United States

Old-fashioned??  My opinion is that "oh gosh" is a term used more by older folks or those that have a particular aversion to using "Oh my G*d!" or "That s*cks!"  It was used in a time that everyday language was leaner and cleaner, in my opinion.

"Oh gosh" is one of those oldies but goodies that is slowly being phased out of the language in modern times.  Other examples are:  "golly", "oh drat," "gee willickers" and "jeepers creepers."

~~Brooke

24 Mar 2009     

P.Hunt
Italy

It �s used in literature and on television programmes when the writer isn �t allowed to write �Oh s***t �.  In my opinion it isn �t used in real life situations very much but your students may encounter it in the before mentioned media. So, yes and no. Smile

24 Mar 2009     

brookee
United States

Yes, P. Hunt, I agree with you.

Additionally, culturally in the U.S, a native English speaker who uses terms like "oh gosh" and the others examples mentioned above might often be coined as a goody two shoes.

~~Brooke

24 Mar 2009     

Lou2002
United Kingdom

I must admit I never say �gosh � - maybe I would say �you �re kidding?! � or �Really? � or �Wow! � , depending on the situation - or �oh my G*d! � as  brookee says if it �s something shocking and I �m talking to a friend.  Definitely not gosh though, not even my Mum says gosh, my Granny maybe! Lx

24 Mar 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

Why do you use an asterisk with G*d?? Any particular reason i don �t know of? Ermm

24 Mar 2009     

Jayho
Australia

Yep it �s old fashioned and often used by the elderley whereas the younger generations use a swear word or slang instead as provided in the previous examples.  Students will encounter it in older literature and films.

24 Mar 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Yes, gosh is old fashioned... but... it can (& frequently) is used in different registers to taboo/swear/profane words.

For example, if you �re at a church cricket game you might say:

"Gosh, so-and-so can really spin that ball"

When talking to your kids you might say:

"Gosh, you �ve got a lot of homework to do tonight"

& there are many more situations where "gosh" is used to intensify a following idea in an inoffensive way but still in a socially fun way.

Just my experience in Aus, anyway.

25 Mar 2009     

Apodo
Australia

Ivona asks: Why do you use an asterisk with G*d?? Any particular reason i don �t know of? 

It �s because it is being used as a swear word in the phrase  �Oh my G*d! �  and this is considered blasphemous by certain Christians.
But quite a few words of exclamation were originally replacements for religious words eg:
Gosh - God
Gee(s) -from Jesus
Cripes - Christ 
much in the same way you will hear the exclamation   �Sheesh � to replace �Shit �

25 Mar 2009     

Caroline565
Australia

Dear Apodo... I��too wondered why you used the asterisk In G*d =God. �I never heard of it being blasphemous to any Christian denomination to say "Oh my God!" �It is never used as a swear exclamation as far as I know. �It �s just what it is ...an innocent exclamation if expressing surprise, shock, fear or whatever...bur never in a blasphemous way and never offensively to anyone. �Just my own opinion from life �s experience. �Smile

In fact the expression "Oh my God " �is a short prayer as far as I know.

25 Mar 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

Hmmm, Caroline, you make more sense than Apodo. I too never heard of it being used as a swear word ... that �s why i wondered. 

25 Mar 2009     

1    2    3    Next >