Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > A question to people from the UK    

A question to people from the UK

MartaZ
Poland

Thanks Douglas, and ALL! :)

25 Mar 2009     

wolfy
Chile

All with the exception of England would prefer to be called by their individual nationality. �IN Wales there is a large "immigrant" population from England so they don �t mind being called British. �It is always funny explaining this situation to students. �Out of interest is there any other "country" / group of countries which could be referred to in differnet ways?

25 Mar 2009     

Logos
Malaysia

Just to add one more amendment.  Don �t call Scottish people �Scotch �  That is reserved for the whisky.

I feel sure there are countless other areas that will have similar emotions.  Less than 10 years ago there were major wars in the Balkans over which nationality was which. 

Another interesting phenomenon is that if you say to an Australian are you from New Zealand, they will politely correct you, but if you say to a New Zealander are you from Australia, they will reply with a very definite NO!  I am New Zealand.  I think a similar situation occurs with Americans and Canadians.

I may be wrong and welcome anyone from the colonies to shoot me down if I am.

25 Mar 2009     

jamie_s
Thailand

Well, I �m  Welsh, and would rather call myself Welsh or be called Welsh by others. I only use the British tag when I have to fill in forms that go with living outside of the UK, and that �s only because that �s what �s written on my passport.
I �ve also lived in Scotland and England and only encountered people there who liked to be called Scottish or English.
As with the reply to the original question I used to work with some girls from Belfast and they referred to themselves as Irish.

Hope that helps.

25 Mar 2009     

< Previous   1    2