Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Song Worksheets    

Song Worksheets

gumby59
Hong Kong

Song Worksheets

Hi teachers!

I just wanted to open up a discussion about a song worksheet from today �s contributions. It �s called Not Fair by Lily Allen. I heard the song on youtube and part of the lyrics is:

Oh I lie here in the wet patch
In the middle of the bed
I �m feeling pretty damn hard done by
I spent ages giving head

Now don �t get me wrong, I think the song is great; it �s about a girl who has met a great guy but he apparently doesn �t stand up to scrutiny in lovemaking. The only concern is whether it is really suitable for students in a classroom setting. Am I being too much of a prude? ANd this is in no way some kind of "attack" on the contributor. Would love to get your comments. Cheers!

26 Mar 2009      

brookee
United States

Hi Gumby~~ 

I agree with you wholeheartedly.  This Lily Allen song that you point out is not the only song for which I �ve seen a printable that I think is a bit risqu�.  I teach adults and I couldn�t teach with that content.

So if you �d be considered a prude, I would be too.  ~~Brooke

26 Mar 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Well, the suitability is really determined by the age & purpose of the course. If the students are post high school & studying aspects of English literature, poetry & music, then it would be acceptable if it fits into the syllabus. That �s my opinion.

26 Mar 2009     

Lulu La la
Thailand

personally, as a musician myself, there are millions of gorgeous songs and lyrics out there.  In my opinion, yes she has come a long way since her fisrt album, but really, as school content, totally unsuitable.   there is a difeerence between being passionate about love, making love, and "giving head �.   even as adult content, i think you could choose a better song for sure.  Just my thoughts....

26 Mar 2009     

Zora
Canada

I �d say that the song is highly unsuitable for class. Maybe I am a prude, but to explain what "giving head" means to a group of teenagers or adults would embarrass me to no end. And I am not that easily scandalized by things in class.. I once had a student decide he was going to pull a fast one over me and used the "F-word" a couple of times in an essay and instead of getting mad at him (and letting it get to me), I just told him point blank that if he had conjugated the verb "F**k" properly, he would have passed...

But no... this song isn �t classroom material...

26 Mar 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Explaining/translating Shakespeare must present a few awkward moments I expect...

26 Mar 2009     

eng789
Israel

That song is NOT suitable for teaching.  But, if a kid asks what something means, we should answer it in the most delicate way we can or send him to a source where he he can find the answer. 

We teach a language and it is full of different kinds of words - you can tell someone you won �t help him understand a word.    The worst thing is when you catch kids using "bad" language - and they don �t even know what it means. 

26 Mar 2009     

alien boy
Japan

I get the feeling that people here are primarily kindergarten, primary & secondary teachers!

This sort of lyric was something that one of my lecturers would have considered reasonable to look at in literary analysis at uni (and we looked at some very racy Chaucer & Shakespeare amongst others...).

Some of my private students (tertiary students  & graduates studying contemporary media & music) who are learning idiomatic English ask about language of this nature after listening to music, reading books & watching movies too...

It certainly wouldn �t be something I �d use in any high school, or younger age environment.

Do any university or adult  teachers have a comment about the song?

26 Mar 2009     

Zora
Canada

I DO teach adult groups as well as university level, high school and some junior high... AND I would still not find it suitable material to take to class. Also, I do believe Eng789 is correct that you must answer any questions asked and truthfully BUT I �d never purposely put myself in a situation where I have to be explain sexual innuendos/slang all class!

And yes, I have done slang in class things but normal things like "whatcha doin � later? I dunno, lemme talk to the lady, she �s givin � a party and I ain �t gonna get her mad by not goin �"... - THIS stuff is fun to do!

26 Mar 2009     

eng789
Israel

I think it is our responsibility to let kids no that certain language isn �t suitable for all audiences and before they speak, they should make sure they know what they are saying.  I teach teens and the "f" word keeps coming up because they hear it in songs and movies.  The first time someone uses it in class,  I explain that it isn �t acceptable language for my classroom and make sure he understands why.  I then tell him if he continues to use it in class, he will be punished ( call home etc.)
I also explain slang  (when it comes up in class) because they will be exposed to it eventually -  "gonna" is very popular.  But, I explain that they shouldn �t use slang in their writing unless it shows up in a dialogue, (because that is a suitable language for the character).

26 Mar 2009     

source
Turkey

I totally agree with you grumby... Great topic as I saw �I KISSED A GIRL � a couple of days ago..... Is it moral? I dont have any problem with lesbians but this is a school and we are model teachers... Songs must be chosen diligence...

Thanks a lot...

26 Mar 2009