Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > need some ideas on "will" and "going to"    

need some ideas on "will" and "going to"

waterlily87
Turkey

need some ideas on "will" and "going to"

hey there everybody. i would really appreciate some "creative ideas" on how to introduce "will" and "going to" and i also need a follow-up idea on this to make the students talk a little and practise orally  and not to get bored at the same time. i am waiting for CREATIVE ideas from whoever reads this post. plz dont ignore this and try to help me.        

26 Mar 2009      

sekmen
United States

hi,
you could consider creating a fortune teller scene. you can be the fortune teller and make some guesses about your students � future by looking at a magic sphere. (or palm reading) then, you can ask them if they have noticed anything in the predictions you made about their friends. they should be able to come up with "will" and "be going to" because you will use them a lot. emphasize the meaning of the target structure. then you can reflect some of the sentences you formed on the board. analyze the sentences with them. focus on the form this time. for the controlled practice, you can go for fill in the blanks activity. to link it to the theme of the lesson try this: tell them that you have been to a fortune teller but this fortune teller was a person who answers by writing down her predictions. she wrote some predictions about you but you couldn �t read eveything she wrote. (will and going to parts) hand out the sentences. ask them to decide if she meant "will" or "be going to".
then they can take your role and be a fortune teller and it will be your follow up free practice activity.
hope you like it :)

26 Mar 2009     

gloriawpai
Brazil

I�ve used videos from youtube. I start playing, then I pause and I ask students or the students can make the questions to each other. E.g. Is the dog going to eat the food? or Will he stop at the supermarket? Then I continue playing a little bit and then I pause again. So I pause the video several times. 

26 Mar 2009     

puddyd
Oman

I actually beamed up a picture , which I think I got from �the search � I put in  worksheets for �going to �-you can use any picture where you can tell the difference between present cont and going to. I then got the ss to tell me what they see and I wrote down their sentences on the board. Most gave me present continuous as we had just finished it , but some gave me sentences using going to. I wrote the going to in a different colour and asked them after that what was different on the white board? Of course they answered that I had two colours and so this led into the �whys? � and them discovering the language aspect as they realised the diffence between the present continuous and the going to - future intention.We boke down the sentences into their make up eg: He is buying a movie ticket - Sub+Verb+ing vs He is going to see a movie - Subj+is going+ to+V1.
To add to SEKMEN �s idea you could print hexagon spinners off on Word doc and make a hole in the middle and insert a toothpick and you could write q �s for them to answer using will and going to.
I hope you find this helpful
Regards
Andrea ;o)

26 Mar 2009     

puddyd
Oman

On the youtube note, there is a fab worksheet using the famous �Battle at Kruger � video clip.
Sear for it , its gr8. She has also given the URL, but I had no luck with it so I just googled �Battle at Kruger � and found itIt �s about 8 minutes long and it �s gr8

26 Mar 2009     

puddyd
Oman

http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=107615#thetop this is the worksheet to accompany my previous thread and it is the one from gloriawpai, and it worked very well.I cannot find my picture that I used. I think I must have scanned it from theHEINEMANN ELEMentary Grammar Book and not downloaded it from ESLPRINTABLES.

26 Mar 2009