Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Are we supposed to create our own clipart?    

Are we supposed to create our own clipart?

Andreia Henrique
Portugal

Are we supposed to create our own clipart?

Hello everyone, today when I opened ESL printables page I found this comment on my recent contribution about clothes:

"posted by yetigumboots
Lovely worksheet but all these clothes can be downloaded from www.makingfriends.com Maybe you should give the source of your work.
Sorry just a small point. Yeti x"

This made me wonder:

1. am I supposed to create my cliparts or can I use the ones available online?
2. does everyone mention the clipart site where they took their images from?

And, by the way, I didn �t know where the images I used were from because I got the clipart from a copy which a friend of mine, who is a portuguese primary teacher gave me and I decided to adapt it into an ESL resource about clothes.

I am really sorry if I broke any rule here but I would like people to consider before posting comments like this one.

P.S. Sometimes I also know where the cliparts from the worksheets I download are from, but I prefer to thank the people for their work and idea rather than saying "nice work but I can download these images on this particular site".

Sorry to bother you, but I got really confused and sad.

Good night everyone!
Andreia

27 Mar 2009      

SaNdRiTSs
Chile

HI ANDREIA,

I WAS WONDERING THE SAME THING THE OTHER DAY......?? Ermm

SO ANYBODY WHO KNOWS IF THERE IS SOME KIND OF RULE???.....I �M "NEW"...SO...I ALSO WOULD LIKE TO KNOW...

BYE ...Big smile

27 Mar 2009     

ergoodman
United States

I think that if you did the work and made a new lesson, you should be fine as long as the clipart is not copyrighted (but, every country has its own copyright laws, so I suppose it all depends). I wouldn´t feel bad as long as you did your own work. You have to get pictures from somewhere, right?

27 Mar 2009     

_babz
Canada

There is no such rule..on this site..

actually.....there are soo many people in here who basically scan images directly from ESL books...and post the entire activity as their own....
and many others....and myself.....find images that we can add to our worksheet from the internet....and i think thats fine..

sometimes these images are just for decor...and other times.... they play a major role in the exercise

but let �s face it....we are ALL plagiarising in here......the minute you use someone else �s text from a site or a book.......or an image...from a site......even if you somewhat change the image or text.....the idea and design comes from someone else.....so it �s still plagiarism!

but! are we selling these worksheets? no....we �re just trying to get by...and i think..eslprintables is a really useful site...

as for comments...don �t worry about it........there are some ppl in here who just enjoy POLICING.....it must give them a thrill.......

it �s good to comment stuff that �s stolen....but otherwise.....comments should be positive and encouraging,....

take care

27 Mar 2009     

deinha
Brazil

That is something that has bothered me a lot.

It is so easy to identify copied worksheets from other sites, stolen worksheets from this site (re)posted by others , scanned (and just scanned) pictures or activities, empty worksheets...So, why to be so picky with this thing about where the pictures of a worksheet, that is clearly original, come from?

I am with �ergoodman � about the copyright issue, which doesn �t seem to be your case.

And I am totally with tbabalis : Let �s report what really matters and what goes against this site �s concepts.

And, above all, let �s share not only work, but also some kindness and support!

Thumbs Up

27 Mar 2009     

alien boy
Japan

According to most copyright law internationally you are able to use images for educational non-profit purposes as long as there is no conflict of commercial interest. So, for example, englishraven.com and mes-english.com are in the ESL business, so you should not use anything from those sites without their permission as there is a possible conflict of commercial interest.

With regards to citing or referencing sources, it is not necessary to do so for clipart that you have the legal rights to unless it is part of a user agreement.

Directly from the rules:
- If you need images to make your worksheet, please use your own drawings or take them  from public domain cliparts.

So, if your cliparts are from public domain then you have no need to cite or reference their origin unless it is part of a user agreement.

Yeti has done the right thing by advising you that the images have come from this site but (maybe) could have been a little more tactful... but that is always difficult to do well as we are all from many different cultures - what is polite or antagonistic to one person is not to another... 

If you read this link you will get the User Agreement from makingfriends.com. Please note this statement:
In particular, you agree not to copy, distribute, post, or transmit anything unless you include our site URL as the source for the material.

There are many people here who have been getting a little carried away about what constitutes allowed images or not. If someone reports your worksheet to Victor (all premium members can report worksheets) then Victor will investigate & email the member who uploaded the worksheet to advise them of the situation as well as taking whatever action he deems appropriate.

Again, from the site rules:
  • The printables included in this website are property of their authors. When you send us a printable you agree that other people can download and use it.
  • The printables included in this website can be downloaded for personal use only. You are not allowed to use them for commercial purposes, nor to publish them by any means.
  • You can only send printables created by yourself. You will never send  printables taken from other websites or publications. You will never send printables whose origin you don �t know (worksheets borrowed from other teachers, for example).
So it may be that, unless your friend has taken the images from a �third party � &/or has legal rights to the images (e.g. has their own clipart with these images) then you (& your friend) have unwittingly broken makingfriends.com user agreement. This is one reason why the point in blue (above) is so important.

At times there are a few too many �police � on this site. You have done the right thing by asking about the rights & wrongs of this situation!

If in doubt, always refer to the site rules - you can find them if you press the �Register � link at the top of the page. If you �re still in doubt, search the forum for related discussions. If that doesn �t help then post a question in the forum.

My apologies for being long winded!

Cheers,
AB

27 Mar 2009     

jamiejules
France

hi, we all take clip arts from the net and very few members create their own pictures.
When members leave comments like the one you mentioned they probably do not take into account the fact that you made a ws with the pictures and you actually created something.
Some people leave odd comments and I wouldn �t worry about it.
What I usually do if I think people will want to reuse the pictures I included in my work is leave the link in the description of the ws.

27 Mar 2009     

yetigumboots
Germany

Hello Andreia, I am sorry if my comment caused any problems. It is just.. when I saw your set of clothes from that site I had them on my desk in front of me... exactly the same. I too wondered if it was right to post it on here. I did not report it because the first page of your worksheet is obviously your own work.  Sorry if I caused any problems. I did not want to hurt your feelings and it certainly was NOT meant in a bad way. I will leave the comments to other people in future. Sorry

Sad Yeti xxxx

27 Mar 2009