Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Same request about films    

Same request about films

Mariethe House
France

Same request about films

Mariethe House
France

Films in English with English subtitles

I am looking for excerpts ( or the whole film)of some of the great classics like:

Rebel without a cause
Mississippi burning
outsiders
stand by me

or any film to do with teenage problems ,in English with English subtitles.

I have looked on youtube but couldn �t find anything with subtitles.

Thank you for your help.

27 Mar 2009      

alien boy
Japan

You may be able to find them on DVD with a subtitle option. Just an idea!

Cheers,
AB

27 Mar 2009     

nebo_Londona
Russian Federation

there are a lot of programs to put subtitles into films. Once  I wanted to do this but couldn �t find time to manage all the information.

27 Mar 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Yes, you can do it with a simple text file if you use DIVX (for example). This can be a little time consuming to sequence properly.

As suggested, if you rent or own a DVD, you can often choose the option to display subtitles in English even in English language movies. It may be much easier to do it this way than to sequence & subtitle even a short piece of video. DVDs are also usually divided into chapters so, again, it �s easy to locate the section that you want to use.

27 Mar 2009     

libertybelle
United States

Hey Mariethe!
You can buy The Outsiders and Stand by Me (or perhaps all of those films) from Amazon uk - for about 5� each.
(really cheap)
I buy a lot of my films there, and being a member of EU saves you the customs tax.
It �s always good to have the films yourself, then you can show them whenever you like.
Hope this helps
L

27 Mar 2009     

eng789
Israel

stexstme  you should bookmark those great sites.

27 Mar 2009     

aftab57
United Kingdom

The first link is to the main site which provides resources on Films. the next two are for Rebel with a cause. may be useful.

27 Mar 2009     

eng789
Israel

aftab57 - bookmark them,  please.  great stuff

27 Mar 2009     

gedpearce
France

If you have to buy the DVD, one of the cheapest places I have found is play.com.  Delivery is free to Europe, it generally takes a week.

27 Mar 2009     

Mariethe House
France

Thank you all so very much!

I shall spend some of my week-end looking into the different options!

27 Mar 2009     

wolfy
Chile

You can download subtitles for almost any film. �Enter **Film Name** + Subtitle into google.

To view the subtitles you �ll need to download some software: �

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/DirectVobSub.htm

and I remember that the subtitle file (srt file) must have exactly the same name as the film and be in the same folder. �

Good luck.

27 Mar 2009