Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Fun activities, Games For Practicing Spelling    

Fun activities, Games For Practicing Spelling

DedicatedTeacher
United Arab Emirates

Fun activities, Games For Practicing Spelling

Hi everyone,

Could you please share with me any fun activity or game that I can use to help my students practice their spelling in an interesting and memorable way.

Thank you

DT

28 Mar 2009      

Zain1985
Bahrain

Try hangman, the missing word and crosswords. You can also make a domino with the words you want your students to memorise.

28 Mar 2009     

ants
Switzerland

Hi DT,

I found and bought the Quiddler game off the internet and my teens and adults learn new words as well as verbs with it.Smile

It �s a pack of cards that has points on the cards and that adds a fun element to the game.
You can play it in teams or with individuals.Smile

I find the teens are learning really quickly...and using their dictionaries to find the meanings of words and verbs.

I also play Scrabble with my adults.

Hope this has helped you.

28 Mar 2009     

Daidougei Dave
Japan

I have the children form lines, and then when I say "go" they run up one by one, add a letter to the word, then pass the chalk to the next child, who writes the next letter, etc.  The team that has the correct spelling first is the winner!  It makes it also kind of a physical contest.

28 Mar 2009     

DedicatedTeacher
United Arab Emirates

Thank you very much Zain, however I �d like them to work with letters more than whole words. They already memorized the words as whole.

Ants, thanks to you as well. I will see if I can buy one from amazon.

DT

28 Mar 2009     

DedicatedTeacher
United Arab Emirates

Hi Daidougei Dave,

I just thought of something similar. I shall try your idea with some modifications ^^. Many thanks.

DT

28 Mar 2009     

yetigumboots
Germany

I do something similar and get the ss in teams and show them a flashcard. They then run to the board and write the word. The one who spells it correctly is the winner. Goes down well with my lot.

Yeti xx

28 Mar 2009     

eng789
Israel

Check out this thread- http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=6201
I mentioned a game that you can adapt for spelling.

28 Mar 2009     

aftab57
United Kingdom

This link gives ideas for teaching spelling for different levels in a fun way.

28 Mar 2009     

puspita
Indonesia

I did anagrams with my students: scramble the letters of a word. They have to unscramble the letters as fast as they can.  I did it either by giving them cue cards (each student has different word), writing them on the board or just say the letters one by one (team game).

For those in higher levels I gave them �bulls eye � game: it �s like a dart board game where students have to spell the words based on a given clue. I got it from �teflfarm.com � -- a website that, somehow, I can �t get into now. PM me your email if you �re interested, I �ll send you a copy.

28 Mar 2009     

Little Miss Lady
Spain

Hi everybody! Ive got to say that the other day I was looking at some posts and someone recommended a wonderful site to practise spellings, Im sure the children will love it. This is the one: www.spinandspell.com

Check it out coz I loved it!

29 Mar 2009