Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > using books in class    

using books in class

Snow- white
Macedonia

using books in class

I was just wondering,since you make and contribute ALL these great worksheets,haven;t you got books that you are supposed to use in class?Something like "English adventure", "you and me","Set sail 1&2","Fairy land"etc?In my country,we must use certain books for a certain level or class if you want and I �m interested in your educational system.I do and make and use workshheets but just as an addition not the whole time.Each book that we use has 6 units and we have to cover them with 18 lessons per month so sometimes I need an extra work and I use  worksheets.Seeing all this contribution I get the feeling that you only have a theme to be covered and you make all these worksheets for each lesson.Am I right or not?Share your experience with me I really want to learn more about your educational system(I must get rid of the feeling that I do not work as hard as you all do)Best regards from sunny Macedonia.

28 Mar 2009      

romynita
Argentina

Hi snow white!
                        Here in Argentina we also use textbooks. There are some schools that work on projects and teachers have to prepare A LOT of things all the time. However, in most of the schools, specially state schools, we use textbooks and it is very difficult to use a lot of extra material because we, teachers, have to pay for most of the extra copies that we give to our students. In some private schools they have machines to make the copies but they also follow a textbook.
This kind of materials is mainly used in schools of English or institutes, as extra practise or they mainly work with worksheets of their own creation. I used to work in a school of english and I used to prepare a lot of things but, unfortunately, I lost most of my work when my computer was stolen.
Now, I �m working in state schools, at primary and secondary level, and I try to give them some WS as extra practice, fast finishers or I use them to prepare the tests.
So don �t worry! You are not the only one!
Thanks for sharing your experience and kisses from Argentina

Romina

28 Mar 2009     

eng789
Israel

We use books - we have 3 grades and 9 different levels in our school.  The work pages I download / make are for extra activities or practice and for after school programs that I am in charge of preparing materials for. 

I have a feeling that a lot of teachers here are private teachers that build their own  curriculum and can do what they want.

28 Mar 2009     

wilwarin32
Argentina

Hi!!
Of course I use textbooks! They make our jobs easier, especially because -at least in my country - we �re underpaid and have to work lots of hours a week  to make a decent salary, which makes it really hard to produce our own material for each course. Howecer, I create my worksheets as additional material to use in class, and having such wonderful teachers contributing their worksheets here makes thing easier.

28 Mar 2009     

piretraig
Estonia

We use textbooks and workbooks in Estonia. I use these worksheets as an extra material. I work in a private school and fortunately there is no coping limit. Yet. My students love these worksheets and sometimes I use these instead of workbook exercises. Such a waste :P But the truth is that these beautiful ws motivate ss more.

28 Mar 2009     

liverpuliana
Spain

We also use textbooks in Spain, and workbooks. I use worksheets as extra material bacause sometimes you need to reinforce certain grammar or vocabulary points so the worksheets are really useful. Also, we sometimes have students who can �t follow the class, ACI students they are called (with educational needs) so they don �t follow the textbook. You have to prepare other kind of materials for them so some of the worksheets on this webpage have come in really handy.
Regards for south Spain.

28 Mar 2009     

aftab57
United Kingdom

In the UK there is a national core curriculum for Literacy/Numeracy for native speakers and for ESOL (English for speakers of other languages) students. All the materials and resources are provided. it is up to the teachers how they use these resources and how they compliment them with their own worksheets. In fact there is no prescription that this core curriculum must be used. usually we have to teach students to pass exams based on this curriculum so we do follow it but not slavishly. A teacher could teach the learning outcomes/objectives by producing all their own worksheets if they so wished.

I use the core curriculum and depending on the learning objectives of the lessons draw on materials from books like Inside Out, Headway, Murphy �s Grammar books and a whole range of other books and resources available. When I have some time I also produce my own worksheets.

28 Mar 2009     

aftab57
United Kingdom

If you are interested check out this site for materials for ESOL, Literach and Numeracy core curriculum.

29 Mar 2009