Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > My poor Student!!! A Teacher īs Call!!!!    

My poor Student!!! A Teacher īs Call!!!!

manonski (f)
Canada

Hi
I agree this is a tricky situation since every countries deal with this matter in different ways. I know here that we are obligated to report this to the authorities and usually it is done by the principal of the school.
Just be careful you īre not putting yourself in a situation that could put you in a lot of trouble. I do agree that it īs not your job to talk to the parents because you don īt know how the dad would react towards you and make sure you īre never alone with him if he does come to school.
Since your principal chose to ignore the situation, is there another person you feel comfortable to talk to?

28 Mar 2009     

appleaday
Canada

In my previous post I wrote:

"In your condition you can try contacting child services and if that doesn īt work let the teachers at your school know what is happening. Try and find teachers who share your concern and sympathy. Talk to relatives who have influence in the family. Also try visiting the family to gain their trust. If you have a school counsellor have the family and the student see him/her at seperate times. The family and child will have to see him/her more than once. Finally if the family is enlightened enough  and of course if they have the money convince them to get therapy."

Of course we as teachers all know in time who is a big threat to our safety and not. If the family is a threat to you and you think talking to a relative is not a problem just go ahead. When I said visiting the family to gain their trust I tried to emphasize the fact of ONLY working on gaining their trust. Do not bring up the fact of the kid being beaten. That will have to come later.

Of course in the end, just because I took risks in the past and helped the kids does not mean you have to do the same. It is  all up to you. Maybe you can do things without putting yourself in harms way.

These days I am going to visit a family whose son is a drug addict and his brothers are not known to be good people. The boy has just gotten out of jail and has returned to school. I really want to leave an imprint on the boy and family that one day the boy will choose good over evil. I know it is possible cause I have had the experience with other students in the past. I do know that this family will be accepting of my sincerity. The great factor here is to know the culture, psychology, family and society well.

So please do pray for my kid too... Take very good care.

28 Mar 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

Hi all.

I can īt agree more about it being a dilemma situation and that this kind of behaviour should be condemned wherever and whenever it happens.
Nebal, try to subtle in your acts so as not worsen the situation of the kid.

Question of curiosity for miss noor Saudi Arabia

Is there a law in Arabia to prevent child physical punishment by their parent?
Can a child complain about it and what age?

Again just to know!

28 Mar 2009     

cecio_13
Argentina

I agrre with ENG 789... you shloul talk to a social worker. 
And as ENG sasys... parents aren īt allowed to hit their kids.
I don not know your country īs law, But here in Argentina parents can not do that.

28 Mar 2009     

cecio_13
Argentina

sorry.. should

28 Mar 2009     

eng789
Israel

I know you feel frustrated and sad,  but there are things that are beyond teachers abilities.  It īs unfortunate but the only thing you can do is give him friendship and support if he asks for it.  Don īt feel bad if he doesn īt because he may reject you because he is embarassed by the situation and what you know.

You have a big heart - that is why it is so hard for you to deal with.

28 Mar 2009     

< Previous   1    2