Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > materials for an English festival are needed    

materials for an English festival are needed

samsunmustafa
Turkey

materials for an English festival are needed

Hello friends I �m writing a text here for the first time and it is a call for help.I!m gonna organize an english festival involving funny plays,songs,jokes riddles and some funny things.But I have not enough material for the time being.Please send me something if you have.For instance a funny and easy play script.My students are 8th grade students but they are so poor at English.I �m a new teacher and with the help of this festival I will try to make them give importance to English more.I!m waitin for your contributions for this helpful feast.Please help me at once.

28 Mar 2009      

eng789
Israel

You can try teaching  them songs that they can act out.

28 Mar 2009     

VALERIA FERNANDEZ
Uruguay

HELLO! YOU CAN TEACH THEM SOME SONGS.
FOR EXAMPLE I TOUGHT MY KIDS THE SONG OF THE COLOUR: RED, RED, RED, TOUCH YOUR HEAD...   AND THEY HAD TO DO ALL THE COREOGRAPHY INTERPRETATING THE ACTIONS THE SONG NAMED

28 Mar 2009     

aftab57
United Kingdom

Here are some links to books and websites where you may find games and activities for your classroom festival.

28 Mar 2009     

fbilgi
Turkey

Teaching them songs is a good idea, here is a beautiful song to act out;

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1pjf4_head-shoulders-knees-and-toes_fun

28 Mar 2009     

appleaday
Canada

Well songs are a definite! What about trying a puppet show too? Kids can even make their own puppets out of socks. Also you can make up a simple play based on some TV shows etc. Or you can do a trivia quiz show at one point of your show.

Just a little tip about your play. Kids loved my play where 2 bussiness men come to a restaurant and have to order food. One of the bussinessmen is quite mentally unstable. Each time he makes up excuses and finally throws the food at the waitor. Of course the basic grammar is "would you like... what would you like... I want... etc."

Also you can have the restaurant scene again but this time a group of teenagers cannot pay the bill in the end. They are really scared of the owner who is actually a very short fella. They get beaten up by the body guards and the short owner of the restaurant is caried away by the two big body guards (one in each arm) Turkish kids always have a good laugh and enjoy acting this out.

Also you can do the "what time is it?" play. There are 4-5 people sitting on a bench and the person at the end of the bench asks "What time is it?" Their legs are crossed in the same direction. Each person is reading something. When the person asks the time to the person sitting next to them they all pass the same question along one by one. Then, after doing this a few times the person who started the asking game jumps and says "It �s time!" Then alls they do is cross their legs in the opposite direction.

What I do to spice this play up is to tell the kids that one is an old lady who barely hears, one is insane, one is terribly uptight and one is a geek etc. So when they role play the character it turns into a whole bunch of fun!

Also you can imitate some of the Turkish commercials. Don �t forget Recep İvedik or Hababam sınıfı!

Kids just love those stuff. (Recep and Hababam are commanly known comedies in Turkey)

Take care and good luck! Feel free to ask any time!

28 Mar 2009