Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > How do you say "this strange object showed here" in American English?    

How do you say "this strange object showed here" in American English?

zailda
Brazil

Thanks a lot, everything you said was very helpful and my project is almost ready. I remember this kind of object in the middle of my uncle �s house and every day he used to sit in front of it in order to listen some Ella Fitzgerald �s records (his favorite, he loved jazz) and some MPB (a kind of Brazilian music) and I was supposed to be quiet if I wanted to stay there with him - and I certainly did.

By the way, the project is for my teen students and if you imagine it by their point-of-view you �ll conclude that "Techonology Museum" is the right title for my work, as at least 90% of them can �t recognize most of the pics and usually laught when we teach those "objects" that sometimes appear in some lessons.

I thought about this project to give them some resources for occasions when they have to recognize old technology that was replaced by the gadgets they are familiarized to. Surely the project includes some humor because the situation itself is funny, things are quickly replaced and turn into "museum pieces" very fast and if we don �t call it to their attention they maybe will never have the chance to know what we used in the past to do things we do much faster and in an easier manner now.

Thanks again to all of you, you �re certainly wonderful teachers and also have a great sense of humor, that is what we need to teach teenagers and children.

Have a wonderful Sunday.

Zailda Coirano

29 Mar 2009     

douglas
United States

Stereo

Hi Fi (stands for high fidelity),

Console Stereo. 

Those are what I played my first records on ( I think my first record was "The Partridge Family", I discovered rock a bit later)

29 Mar 2009     

Julee
Brazil

How about "vitrola" ^^ in Portuguese. LOL

Nice to see you here, Zailda

29 Mar 2009     

zailda
Brazil

Thanks for all, I �m done with the project and was able to reduce it and post here. Julee is right, it was once called "vitrola" but the term is general and could be "that thing" or a more modern (and compact) one. Also Google translator seems to have no clue about this Portuguese word.

Have a nice Sunday!

29 Mar 2009     

< Previous   1    2