Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > How do you say...    

How do you say...

Buzybeee
Poland

How do you say...

Hi!
I have a question. Let �s say that there is a lesson and you do some art project and there is a lot of litter or trash etc and a student wants to stand up and put it in the dustbin. What would he/she say?
Can I go to the dustbin?
Can I come to the dustbin?
Can I throw away trash?

I �m wondering because on each lesson with my 7 year olds we put some useful phrases on the board like Can I go to the toilet, Can I erase the blackboard etc and in Poland you can �t leave your sit without permission. So I �m wondering what a student should ask in this situation?

29 Mar 2009      

eng789
Israel

Can I go to the dustbin? - good

Can I throw away my trash?    sounds better  

Can I throw the/ my trash in the garbage (can).

Can I throw away some trash?

I think these are all good possibilities.

29 Mar 2009     

Nebal
Lebanon

Hi Buzybeee,

Well, it �s either May I throw away my trash? Or May I throw the wastes in the dustbin?

I �m sure u �ll get more possibilities, but all are almost the same.

Hugs,
Nebal

29 Mar 2009     

eng789
Israel

Nebal - you are probably right,  May should be used for asking permission.

But, native speakers usually don �t stick to formalities - that �s why I automatically went with can - even if it doesn �t mean - asking permission. 

29 Mar 2009     

Buzybeee
Poland

Thanks for your help :-)

29 Mar 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

Nebal,
Wastes is a verb. What you mean is waste.  May I throw my waste into the bin?

2 Apr 2009     

mendiv
United States

As a native speaker (American, not British), I would say, "May I throw away my trash?" and I would expect my students and my son to do the same.  Another option would be, "May I take these to the trash can (or dustbin)?"

When children ask my permission for something and they use �can � instead of �may � I don �t give permission.  My native Eng. speakers should remember the right way of asking on their own.  With my ELL students I say it correctly and ask them to repeat so that they can get used to using �may �. 

2 Apr 2009