Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > hyphen in compound adjectives    

hyphen in compound adjectives

temainzer
Brazil

hyphen in compound adjectives

Hi everyone!
Does anyone know how to use the hyphen in compund adjectives? I know that compunds formed by adverb + present participle take hyphen such as fast-looking. Compunds formed by an adverb ending in"ly" + past participle are separate, eg. widely respected. But what about gray-haired and kindhearted? Both are formed by adjective+noun+ed and I always see them with or without hyphen. I can not work out or find a rule. Can anyone help me?
Thanks in advance,
Teresa

30 Mar 2009      

alien boy
Japan

Hi temainzer!

hyphen use is very arbitrary in contemporary English. I �ve taken the following information about hyphens directly from Swan �s �Practical English Usage � for you.

When are hyphens used?
b) compound adjectives
red-hot; nice-looking; blue-eyed; grey-green; broken- hearted
When we use a longer phrase as an adjective before a noun, we often use hyphens. Compare:
- an out-of-work miner. He �s out of work.
the London-Paris flight; the Scotland-France match
- a shoot-to-kill policy. They were ordered to shoot to kill.

Are hyphens disappearing?
The rules about hyphens are complicated, and usage is not very clear. Perhaps because of this, people seem to be using hyphens less, especially in compound nouns. Many common short compounds are now often written �solid �, with no division between the words (e.g. weekend, wideawake, takeover); other less common or longer compounds are now more likely to be written as completely separate words (e.g. train driver, living room). The situation at present is rather confused, and it is not unusual to find the same expression
spelt in three different ways (e.g. bookshop, book-shop, book shop). If one is not sure whether to use a hyphen between words or not, the best thing is to look in a dictionary, or to write the words without a hyphen.

Hope that helps a little!

30 Mar 2009     

temainzer
Brazil

super thanks, alien boy, it helped a lot. I �ll stop worrying about hyphens from now on and use my intuition more! (LOL)

30 Mar 2009