Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Traditional literature using utensils or household articles    

Traditional literature using utensils or household articles

wingyourdreams
Vietnam

Traditional literature using utensils or household articles

Dear all,

My friend is going to do her doctorate degree and her thesis is related to the use of utensils and household articles in literature. She needs to compare these uses in several languages. Unfortunately, she is not so good at English and she asks me to help her. I am a quite new member in this forum but I feel warm and lucky to be here as you all try your best to contribute to this teaching environment. In Vietnam, we consider teachers as noble career!

If possible, please help me with some of your literature works which use utensils or household articles with implied meaning. These can be poems, idioms, stories or novels such as "apron string", etc.

Thank you very much for your help!

Nguyen Trung Kien from Vietnam

30 Mar 2009      

dareka1
Japan

Hi,

�think of the word you want, eg. apron, go to this website and search for it-

http://www.lextutor.ca/concordancers/concord_e.html

A concordance is a database of books or spoken language, you can use it to find many examples of words in sentences.

30 Mar 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Hi!

This article about food in literature might be a good starting point:

http://www.enotes.com/twentieth-century-criticism/food-literature

Is your friend after adult or childrens � literature?

I could recommend �Like Water for Chocolate � - a wonderful book from Mexico (I think)

There are some wonderful movies that are also likely to be available as books:

�Babette �s Feast � (French), �Chocolat � (French), �The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover � (English), �Delicatessen � (French).

As I think of more items I �ll add them to the post.

As far as originally English books go, I �m not really sure at the moment...  but I �m sure I �ll remember some soon!

Cheers!

Childrens´ books/stories: The Magic Wishing Chair, Through the Looking Glass (Alice in Wonderland), The Magic Pudding...

30 Mar 2009     

wingyourdreams
Vietnam

Thank you both of you for your information. My friend is preparing her thesis in terms of language in relation with culture aspect regarding the use of such things in literature. In Vietnam we have a lot of verses and literature works with implied meaning for these items. However, a comparison is required with different cultures regardless of adult or children books but preferably, traditional works such as poems, novels, and epic. I am still waiting for further support from you guys!

By the way, have a nice evening to all (evening time in Vietnam now)

30 Mar 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Hi wingyourdreams!

I assume you mean metaphorical use? Now, if you do & your looking for traditional works then you �ll be looking at Shakespearean era, Medieval,or do you mean folk stories? There �s not really any �childrens � literature until the 19th & 20th centuries in English. I �ll check a few of my other cooking related references. It �s a shame I don �t have my Larousse Gastronomique here in Japan, it would have some very useful items (as would the rest of my collection, back in Australia)

I �ll post a few more references for you tomorrow (Tokyo time). I think I may have a few useful references around here somewhere. So please be a little patient Wink

Have a good night!

30 Mar 2009     

wingyourdreams
Vietnam

Thanks! Same to ya!

30 Mar 2009     

aftab57
United Kingdom

Try these link.

30 Mar 2009     

wingyourdreams
Vietnam

Thank you Aftab57. I �ll check the links! 

31 Mar 2009