Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Separation in syllables in English    

Separation in syllables in English

KELEN PRISCILA
Brazil

Separation in syllables in English

I would like to know if anyone knows any site or material on separation into syllables in English. I would like to learn about it I never saw anything like that, but I heard that itś difficult to find any material in Brazil.Help me!

30 Mar 2009      

eng789
Israel

See if these help.

30 Mar 2009     

Ayaniw
Algeria

Hi Kelen Priscila!
 I hope this may help you,

Syllable division

1.    A one syllable word is never divided: cat, ball, foot.

2.    When a word has a ck or an x, the word is divided after the x and ck: nick-el, fox-hole.

3.    A compound word is divided between the two words that make the compound word: in-side, cup-board, sun-shine, mail-box.

4.    When two or more consonants come between two vowels in a word, it is usually divided between the first two consonants: sis-ter, but-ter, hun-gry, sup-pose.

5.    When a single consonant comes between two vowels, division is after the consonant if the vowel is short: cab-in, hab-it, plan-et.

6.    When a single consonant comes between two vowels, division is usually before the consonant if the vowel is long: e-qual.

7.    When two vowels come together in a word and are sounded separately, divide the word between the two vowels: ide-a, radi-o, di-et, po-et.

8.    A word that has a prefix is divided between the root word and the prefix: dis-like, mis-han-dle.

9.     When be, de, ex and re are at the beginning they make a syllable: be-lit-tle, de-frost, ex-pres-i-dent, re-as-sure.

10.                        A word that has a suffix is divided between the root and the suffix: kind-ness, thank-ful, stuff-ing.

11.                        When a word ends in le, preceded by a consonant, the word is divided before that consonant: pur-ple, fum-ble, mid-dle.

12.                         When ed comes at the end of a word, it forms a syllable only when preceded by d or t : start-ed, fund-ed.

13.                        tion and ture at the end of a word form a syllable: mo-tion, ma-ture.

14.                        ible and able are one syllable suffixes: fea-si-ble, cur-a-ble.

15.                        When there are two vowels together, they usually make just one vowel sound [ee, ea, oi, ou, oa, au, aw,, oy, eu, ow, ew, etc�]: steam, float, found, rain, shoot, feet.

16.                        The finale e in most words is not pronounced, and then it does not form a syllable: fine (1 syllable), fi-nance (2 syllables), mis-ad-ven-ture (4 syllables).

Al from Algeria.

30 Mar 2009     

danibauer
Brazil

Hi Al!!!

Thanks for your great explanation! I always had doubts about it too!!

Regards from Brazil,

Daniela

31 Mar 2009     

Cassy
Brazil

thanx fellows.

31 Mar 2009     

alien boy
Japan

They �re very good definitions for standard English. Thanks ayzman2.

31 Mar 2009