Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Listening to songs    

Listening to songs

Maria Isabel
Peru

Listening to songs

Hi friends:
Everybody knows that song listening is one of the most popular activities among esl students, specially if they are teenagers, but it seems to me that we (teachers) sometimes run out of creativity (or is it just me?Ermm) when we prepare this kind of activity for our classes, as we limit to lyrics completion or matching halves, so, please, if anyone has better ideas than these (I bet you do!), will you let me know?
Thanks in advance.
Maria Isabel

31 Mar 2009      

alien boy
Japan

I like to have students change the lyrics to songs. Ivona also has some great ideas - she �s had her students write & perform rap songs!

CHeers!

31 Mar 2009     

aftab57
United Kingdom

You may just pick up an idea or two from these links.

31 Mar 2009     

Anna P
Brazil

Maria Isabel is right when she says that students, especially teenagers, enjoy learning  English through songs.  She is also correct when she mentions that we can be more creative.  I have been preparing wss with songs trying to find useful activities and now, thanks to Aftab57 �s great tips, the printables will be more meanigful.

31 Mar 2009     

zailda
Brazil

Thanks aftab57, I bookmarked your links, it �s too late now but I �ll see them tomorrow. I was tired of giving songs to my students because I thought it was boring doing the things the same way, but now I �ll have ideas to refresh the activity. And I love new ways to do the same old thing.

31 Mar 2009     

roneydirt
United States

I only clicked on a couple links but what about fill in the blank.  This is more the initial part.  Also look through the song for slang or words the students may not know and discuss what they think they mean as well what does the song mean if it doesn �t have a bad hidden meaning.  There are some songs on the sites above and other sites listed as good songs to teach that have alternative meanings from when they were written.  Unless you have adults and want to touch to touchy areas, but with children don �t recommend it.  I also like to pick older songs that have been redone several times over the years.  Like California Dreaming, there is the original, a punk, new wave, thrash, rock, rap, techno, new wave techno, ska, and a few other versions over the years.  You can use songs like that to show even though they were originally written several years before that they still are full of life in other forms. 

Also want to add there was a popular commercial here in Korea in late 2007 and early 2008.  I decided to teach the song and the students were amazed that the tune they were humming and/or adding to their cell phones was an actual song.  I also had them attempt to translate it to Korean and a Korean song to English to show a few things like how the west and East swap the way sentence structure is done.

31 Mar 2009     

Isabel L
Spain

Hi,
I like using songs to work with pronunciation. I do a kind of fill in the gaps but I either provide the phonetic transcription of the missing words or two similar words so that they have to discriminate confusing sounds or words. I also use songs or music to talk about feelings and emotions.
I hope this helps.

31 Mar 2009     

HARIM
Morocco

A song is a piece of cloth that should be cut according to the person �s size.To this end I have always worked.I �ve often used songs to exploit my lessons and have devoted the last part of some lessons to relate to the objective through a song,and not any song.This is a case in point.
Because you loved me  can be used at the end of the simple past tense of irregular verbs lesson.Students listen to the song and fill in the gaps with the missing verb.
The same song can be used to exploit parts of the body vocabulary.This can be done in a funny way by asking students to write similar lines to this one:
You were my eyes when I couldn �t see
Can we imagine what they may write?
You were my nose............................
You were my ears ..............................
You were my hands............................
You were my heart.........................
You were my teeth.........................
etc
    Which exercise to which song in which context to which end are the questions we need to answer before we use a song in our classrooms.
Have a nice day

31 Mar 2009