Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Please help!!!    

Please help!!!

hongduyen
Vietnam

Please help!!!

Hi!

Could anyone please tell me which is the better; or if both are right?

�His face looks pleased �. or �His face looks pleasing �.
He has a pleased/ pleasing look on his face.
He looks terribly frightened. or He looks terribly frightening.
etc.

31 Mar 2009      

67Englishteacher
France

If you use the -ed form, it means the state in which the subject is. If you use -ing, it refers to the effect the subject is having, to a kind of activity.

I �d rather say "he looks pleased" than "his face looks pleased".
"He has a pleased look on his face" = he is pleased
"He has a pleasing look on his face" = you are pleased when you look at his face
"He looks frightened" = he �s scared, afraid (that �s his emotion)
"He looks frightening" = he makes you feel frightened when you look at him.

I hope that �s clear

31 Mar 2009     

mlora
Spain

I think you refer to the difference between -ed and -ing adjectives.

When you say The film is boring /The class is boring / The teacher is boring, you mean that they make you feel bored.

However, when you say The students are bored / The teacher is bored, you mean that these people feel like this. You are talking about their feelings (-ed adjectives), not about how they make other people feel (-ing adjectives).

I think it �s exactly the same with the examples that you �ve written. So, I believe that both are right.

31 Mar 2009     

Nebal
Lebanon

frightened / frightening

As a general rule, adjectives ending in -ed are used to describe how people feel. Adjectives ending in -ing describe the things or situations that give rise to these feelings. So, remember, frightened describes how you feel. Frightening describes the things that make you feel frightened:

She looked very frightened when I told her she would lose her job.

It was one of the most frightening films I had ever seen.

31 Mar 2009     

hongduyen
Vietnam

Thanks a lot for replying, dear colleage. Of course I understand the matter; however, I need an answer from a native speaker, I mean, which is more natural? or all the sentences are OK?

31 Mar 2009     

dareka1
Japan

I �m a native speaker.

Hi!
Could anyone please tell me which is the better; or if both are right?

�His face looks pleased �. or �His face looks pleasing �. (we wouldn �t say face because �he looks pleased � of course means face (or ..... ;) � �) �so it would be- he looks pleased/ he looks pleasing

He has a pleased/ pleasing look on his face. �(pleased would be he is happy, pleasing is that you like his expression)

He looks terribly frightened. or He looks terribly frightening. (again, ed- he is scared, ing- you are scared)

31 Mar 2009     

Daidougei Dave
Japan

"Participles"

Using a verb, such as "to please" as an adjective is called making it into a "participle." 

Whether that participle is in the "-ed" form or "-ing" form depends on whether it refers to the object or the subject of the verb.  If it �s the subject, use -ing, and if it �s the object, use the "past participle" form.

So "He has a pleasing face" means "His face pleases other people."
and "He has a pleased face" means "Something pleases his face." (therefore something pleases him.)

The same for frighten...
"He is frightening" means "He frightens other people."
and "He is frightened" means "Something frightens him."

That �s also why we say "The sleeping man is quiet" ("man" is the subject of "sleep" so we use the -ing form) and "The thrown ball hit him" ("ball" is the object of "throw" so we use the pp [often -ed] form.)

31 Mar 2009