Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Why capitals when saying nationality?    

Why capitals when saying nationality?

ARaquelSP
Portugal

Why capitals when saying nationality?

Dear teachers.

Yesterday a student of mine asked me why we write nationalities using capitals. When I said it was because it was a nationality, he wasn �t satisfied about it. Is it because it �s part of our identity and therefore, something important? I really didn �t know how to explain to him...

Thanks in advance!

31 Mar 2009      

P.Hunt
Italy

With students like that the best thing is to turn the question back on them and ask, why do they not write it with a capital letter in their country? Tongue Somethings just are, and were fixed in grammar long ago.
That �s probably not the answer you wanted. LOL

31 Mar 2009     

eng789
Israel

Words that identify nationalities or ethnic groups must be capitalized. 

-  Tell them that that �s the rule so, if they don �t you will deduct marks. 

That usually works with my pupils. Wink

31 Mar 2009     

ARaquelSP
Portugal

ih ih ih I love your answers. LOL I think it is this way because I teach adults and adults tend to want to know reasons for everything. Thanks a lot for your answers! Thumbs Up

31 Mar 2009     

kim82
United Kingdom

Tell them that it is a proper adjective of a proper noun ( names of countries....etc)

names of nationalities r proper adjectives/ names of countries are proper nouns and all propers must be CAPITALIZED.

By explaining the meaning of proper nouns and differentiating them from common nouns.. the rule will b clear to them... let them deduct the rule not memorize it.../

Best WishesCool

31 Mar 2009