Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Please give me advice re the very first ESOL lesson.    

Please give me advice re the very first ESOL lesson.

Snegurochka
United Kingdom

Please give me advice re the very first ESOL lesson.

Hello everyone,
I �m very glad to be here. I taught English at school and university in my country, and then had a big gap in the teaching career due to many factors. Now it looks like I �m back on the track. The only problem is that I �ve never taught English in this particular ESOL manner. I taught advanced students using an academic approach.  I �d like to attend a ESOL class as a guest before my first class as a teacher just to feel the atmosphere of it. On the other hand, I don �t want this to look like lack of confidence. Any ideas?

1 Apr 2009      

Logos
Malaysia

It is difficult to know how to advise you with specific points as there are many unknown factors, such as what country are you in now, what is the age and level of the students you are teaching, how many are there, when is your first class, do you have access to observe others who are EFL or ESL trained?

The big difference between teaching English to native English speakers and teaching it as a second language is that the major tool you use to teach the first group is your voice.  They can understand what you say.  But with the second group they cannot understand your voice and so you must use other means.  You must be visual and demonstrate what you say.  If children can see what you say, they will understand.  You are first and foremost developing their understanding - not increasing their knowledge.

If you have the opportunity, try and directly ask other teachers who have EFL/ESL experience.  Without knowing your situation it is difficult to give specific advice.

1 Apr 2009     

aftab57
United Kingdom

Keep Logos �s premises in mind here are some book links for you.

1 Apr 2009     

Snegurochka
United Kingdom

Thank you very much for answering me, and special thanks for the materials. Now I �m in the UK and had a successful job interview for an ESOL teaching position. Most likely I �ll get a group of adults with no or very basic English. Some of them cannot read or write in their own language.

1 Apr 2009