Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > HELP!    

HELP!

CILB
Argentina

HELP!

I have a very simple question.

I was revising numbers today and students had to write the numbers on the board

Some numbers were over 100.

So I wrote the number 112 and one of the studets wrote "one hundred twelve".

I corrected it and I said "One hundred AND twelve. But the student told me she had

leart it without the "and".

I felt so confused but I told her she had to write "and"! 

Now Im in doubt. I was almost sure it was with "and".

Can you help me?

1 Apr 2009      

ESL
United States

we say it either way. The correct gramatical way is to add the "and" though.

There is a really neat website called www.ask.com. You can input any question and it will give you the answer.

Hope this helps!

1 Apr 2009     

CILB
Argentina

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! AND THANKS FOR THE LINK, IT �S REALLY USEFUL!!!

1 Apr 2009     

ESL
United States

anytime, my friend!

1 Apr 2009     

Abbes_Z
Morocco

Hi CILB,

Miss ESL of Illinois is definitely right; nothing more to add..!

�hope you have a great time! Smile

1 Apr 2009     

CILB
Argentina

Abbes! The one who helped me with the Arabic translation!    LOL

Thanks again!

1 Apr 2009     

lillizen
Brazil

BTW, I read your post and ended up finding this interesting site to read big numbers (without "and"):
http://www.mathcats.com/explore/reallybignumbers.html

And the explanation to the addition of and or not when reading numbers:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_and_British_English_differences#Numbers:

"When saying or writing out numbers, the British will typically insert an and before the tens and units, as in one hundred and sixty-two or two thousand and three. In America, it is considered correct to drop the and, as in two thousand three."

Lilli.

1 Apr 2009     

gofish343
Ukraine

I �m an American.  In high school math class, we were taught that you do not say "and" when reading numbers aloud, unless you are using it as the decimal point or to introduce a fraction.  For example, we would say 112 "one hundred twelve,"  but if we saw 112.5 we would read it "one hundred twelve and five tenths."

1 Apr 2009     

eng789
Israel

I �m Canadian and I think that both are acceptable so that is what I tell my pupils.   I think it is important that kids know that there is often more than 1 possibility as we see here all the time when we discuss grammatical issues.  I would feel terrible if my student demanded that he was correct (because his mother tongue teacher said so) about something that can be said in a different way and still be correct.  How embarassing it would be for him.  We have to be careful.
Hug

1 Apr 2009     

alien boy
Japan

I �m sure there �s another really detailed discussion about this in the forum... I wonder if I can find the link... It �s really good. I know... it �s about years!

Here �s the 2nd part of the thread... http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=2737
but it �s really the first part that I want to share.

Oh well, I �ll look again later and add it to the thread.

By the way, I �m used to using �and � but that is primarily British English rather than North American.

Cheers!

1 Apr 2009