Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Exchanging teaching experiences    

Exchanging teaching experiences

mistick
France

Exchanging teaching experiences

I �m a French teacher and French pupils are said to be very bad at languages so I was wondering if it was because of our teaching methods or just because most of our pupils can �t see the use of learning English or any other language. So I would like you all wonderful people to tell me how you teach English in your countries. I think it would be quite rewarding to all of us. What do you think?
Thanks a lot for answering.

2 Apr 2009      

Snow- white
Macedonia

Don �t get angry for my words,I haVE no intention to hurt your feelings at all,BUT from what I have heard,French people in general do not like the idea of the English language being the first  and most spoken language in the world so they hesistate learning it at start.I don �t think that your educational system is bad,on contrary.The bad thing is the way you think about learning other languages.Here people like learning other languages since we are a multy cultural country and we are attacked by TV(american movies,Spanish soup operas etc).Also,we are getting to know the benefits of computer technology so knowing English is important.Here English is taught from the first grade(6 years) up to secondary school(18 years).On the other hand,not everyone likes to learn a foreign language so do not get upset.:)Just do your job as good as you can.

2 Apr 2009     

mistick
France

Hi snow white, I �m not angry at all and I quite understand what you mean and agree with you. But actually all of my pupils watch American series or films, are fans of English or American singers so why aren �t they interested in learning English?
They spend their time on their computers and are said that English is necessary to find a job these days.
Lots of them would like to go to the States and still believe in the American dream. So why do they have so little motivation?

2 Apr 2009     

hualol
Chile

I don �t know what are your teaching techniques, but, maybe, if you keep working with grammar ONLY, students will get bored and with no motivation at all. Try to bring games and activities related to real world so that they may find some �purpose � on learning the language^^

2 Apr 2009     

mistick
France

Thanks for your advice but actually that �s what I do. I use games, group work, pairwork related to their lives, their activities so they can exchange about themselves, go to the computer room for webquest...... They speak English most of the time but they don �t remember much and don �t want to work on their own ( do their homework, learn their lessons) to reinforce what has been done in class.
So thier results are not as good as they should be!

3 Apr 2009     

Bella W
United Kingdom

Hello mistick,
I am very interested to hear you say that French pupils are not interested in learning English.  I don �t mean to offend, but the stereotype we have in the UK is that the French don �t want to learn English as they consider french the superior language.  If non-french people want to speak to them, then they should speak French.  The stereotype German is completely the opposite.  In general I think the English are terrible at learning other languages.   They take the attitude, speak English, or don �t try to speak to me.  My own children are 3 and 7 and I am encouraging them both to learn French and German.  I use flashcards, books, DVD �s (mainly Disney), satellite TV.  France 5 on Wednesday mornings and KIKA for German.  We are visiting France in June for a week.  A German speaking friend suggested that when trying to learn a new language it is good to say the words and to do something related to the words at the same time.  This helps the brain make associations and helps the learning process.  For example, learning the verb to thow, whilst actually throwing a ball.  Learning the word egg, whilst actually holding an egg.

Bella

9 Apr 2009     

deon
Korea, South

i had a similar experience in thailand which was my first esl teaching gig. it was to 5th and 6th graders. they were sweet kids but the prathom 6s for the most part did not care.

what age are you teaching?

so now i am going to try to teach k - 3 graders in seoul. i wont have 50 students in each class and i will have my own class [not just a hour a week with the 20 different classes] like i did in thailand.

i am american and i have been trying to learn korean before i go to teach next month [seoul]. it is freakin hard to learn a whole different system of writing. but i guess they cant use that excuse becuase growing up we had to take spanish and at least it had the same letters [well, compared to thai]

maybe you could have them act out a favorite movie in english. or scene from some american thing they like.
i think it might be fun that they have to make exagerated script and act the scene out in front of the class. or they have to audition by reading a scene??? - maybe they would consider that entertaining??? sorry, im still very new to the whole esl thing. i am just figuring out lesson plans!

30 Apr 2009