Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > please helpe me     

please helpe me

lamisadel
Turkey

please helpe me

dear colleagues I �m teaching means of transports and one of my pupils asked me about a picture but I couldn �t find its name : it is a kind of box hanged into a line that people use to move in the mountains .  I hope that you got the idea .
please if any one knows it  tell me  its name and thank you in advance .
            note: it the first time I dare to ask for help .

3 Apr 2009      

alicjaniebo
United Kingdom

In the UK it �s called the cable car (in the US apparently the cable railway). Smile

3 Apr 2009     

eng789
Israel

Cable car is what we call it in Israel and Canada.

3 Apr 2009     

lamisadel
Turkey

Thank you dear colleagues just in time before leaving to work 
   thaks again

3 Apr 2009     

ariangie
Costa Rica

CABLE CAR I THINK IT IS

3 Apr 2009     

douglas
United States

Cable cars can also be the street cars in San Francisco.  The cars hanging from cables are also called gondolas or ski gondolas.  I have heard the entire system refered to as a sky lift or sky tram,  but I wouldn�t teach these as proper English.

3 Apr 2009     

lamisadel
Turkey

thank you alicjaniebo ,eng789 ,ariangie and Douglas for the information and for your care

3 Apr 2009     

douglas
United States

No Problem, glad I could help.

Here is what wikipedia says:

An aerial lift is a means of transport in which gondolas or open chairs are hauled above the ground by means of a cable.

Types of aerial lifts include:

• Aerial tramway, with fixed cable for suspending the gondola and another cable to pull the gondola along the cable.
  • Funitel, with two moving loops of cable which support gondolas (gondolas attach to two cables each).
  • Gondola lift, a moving loop of cable with gondolas attached to the cable.
  • Funifor, two fixed cables for suspending the gondola, with another cable to pull the gondola along the cables.

(The above are often referred to as cable cars). Other types may include:

• Chairlift, with a moving loop of cable with chairs permanently attached to the cable.
  • Detachable chairlift, a loop of cable moving at high speed, with chairs that can be clipped onto the cable at either station.

Aerial lift is also a proper term used in industry for mechanical devices used to elevate workers. Also referred to as manlifts. MEWPs (Mobile elevated work platforms), cherry pickers, and bucket trucks.

3 Apr 2009     

lamisadel
Turkey

thank you Douglas for being so helpful and friendly

3 Apr 2009     

khaled69
Jordan

salam allikm
i uplooaded one today
go to my home page and download it
regards
khaled

3 Apr 2009     

Jayho
Australia

In Australia the one in the glorious Blue Mountains is technically referred to as an aerial cable car.

4 Apr 2009