Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Lesson plans for left and right brain students.    

Lesson plans for left and right brain students.

ilaczek
Poland

Lesson plans for left and right brain students.

Hello everyone :),
I study ELT and already work as a teacher of English. It �s my final year of studies and I �m writing my BA paper. Its topic is: �The role of cerebral hemispheres and learning styles in the teaching of English to adults �. I have written the first chapter without any problems but I �m starting the next chapter and I have some problems. I am to create 2 lesson plans - one aimed at left brain students and the other one aimed at right brain students. Does anybody know what kind of exercises I could include in each of them?
Thanks in advance!
Have a lovely day,
Ila.

4 Apr 2009      

douglas
United States

This is probably a "no duh" answer but: Use lots of visuals for the right brainers.

( I operate a lot on the KISS principle (Keep It Simple Stupid (or Silly))

4 Apr 2009     

Jayho
Australia

Take a look at this: http://esl.about.com/od/esleflteachingtechnique/a/brain_friendly.htm

4 Apr 2009     

freddie
Canada

Hi Ila and everyone out there!

Total Physical Response is an ELT method specifically directed at Right Brain Learning. It is particularly useful for beginner students. If you dont know much about it you can search the net about the details but basically the teacher says a word and models it physically and then the students repeat the movement and the phrase. Imagine teaching simple present routines: `I get up` The teacher models the meaning of the sentence and then says `Jo get up` and the student repeats the action showing he understands the word. Later they say the words and do the action. The teacher uses the imperative form to teach alot of the verbs and nouns common to the beginner - elementary level. I use this method as one of many methods to teach beginners and I like it very much and students always enjoy moving and acting together. They also enjoy giving orders to each other! They learn alot of vocabulary quickly and they laugh alot. I just find using only this method restrictive so I use other methods as well. Hope this information is useful to you.

4 Apr 2009     

Logos
Malaysia

Douglas is right (especially about KISS).  I recall from my psycholinguistic days that left brain is much more analytical, so grammar exercises, logic problems etc would be more appealing. Right brain is much more abstract and so communicative activities of finding information from each other, vocabulary matching - even flash card games appeal much more to right brained folks.

In reality, most people are somewhere in the middle.  It is unusual to find anyone who is so analytical as to not want to communicate and also to find someone who just wants to communicate without knowing any reason why.

So we have covered the left and right brainers.  Now what about the no brainers?????

4 Apr 2009     

aftab57
United Kingdom

Some links to resources for you.

4 Apr 2009     

ilaczek
Poland

Thanks a lot, guys! :)
Have a lovely day :))).

5 Apr 2009