Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Hello    

Hello

rosammd
Spain

Hello

Hello friends,
How are you? I hope you are having a nice weekend.
I have a question for you. How many vocabulary words you introduce in each unit?? I have heard that it is not good to introduce more than 8 new words per unit, I am not sure about it.
I would like to work on animals, different types of animals (farm, sea, jungle, birds) and it means more than 8 new words...What should I do????

5 Apr 2009      

eng789
Israel

It really depends on the level of the kids/ people.   For beginners, I think that 8 would be the max.

5 Apr 2009     

nkappa
Greece

I AGREE WITH ENG. I INTRODUCE 5 TO 8 IN EACH LESSON AT JUNIOR CLASSES

AT C SENIOR UP TO 20 I HAVE TO SAY! BUT AGAIN IT DEPENDS ON THE LEVEL AND THE KIDS THEMSELVES.

IT �S GOOD SOMETIMES, THOUGH, TO ASSIGN A WHOLE SENTENCE AS A DICTATION !

5 Apr 2009     

rosammd
Spain

Sorry I didnt say the age of students! They are 9-10. I think at this age they are supposed to have studied animals before, so they already know the basic animal vocab.

You have said just 8 new words in the lesson of a day or in the whole unit???

Thank a lot for your quick reply.

5 Apr 2009     

eng789
Israel

up to 8 new words that you expect them to be able to work with if you quiz them.  I give a week class 8-10 words to learn each week.  Not everyone succeeds.

5 Apr 2009     

rosammd
Spain

Ok, thank you very much eng789!

5 Apr 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

I introduce the quantity I need for my unit but I let them keep the vocabulary sheet as a resource for the duration of the unit. I teach elementary and they have no problem with the number I teach. Depending on the theme, I might have between 10 to 30. (or more) I don �t give vocabulary to learn by heart. It �s all about using the resource available to you. Also, if I do a unit on animal, I might start with animals but later in the unit, I may add extra vocabulary such as special characteristics. My students have a pictionary in their desk and they use it all the time.

5 Apr 2009