Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Writing Strategies    

Writing Strategies

alsailiya
Qatar

Writing Strategies

HI Everybody

My students are very weak in writing.They are in grades 4 & 5 . They can �t write 2 sentences upon a picture. I need your help please. Tell me what to do with them. How I can improve their writing way?Can you help me pleaseeeeeeeeee.Cry

Thank you everybody .

5 Apr 2009      

arlissa
United States

My advice is to do small readings together. I think reading naturally improves writing by allowing students to see how it is done. Also, doing short fill-in-the-blank type of sentences can help the students feel positive about their abilities to understand English, making them excited to attempt writing the whole sentence without help.

5 Apr 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

Maybe you could model the task and write a text with them first. Let them see you use the grammar and resources. If they see an example first, they might have a better understanding of what is expected of them.

5 Apr 2009     

eng789
Israel

I suggest you start with giving them the beginning of the sentence and they finish it.

The boy is watching _______________________.

Once they get a bit better, you can give them the ending and have them start the sentence.

_______________________ tv.

You can give them a word list or parts of of sentences to practice with.

good luck!

5 Apr 2009     

daddou
Tunisia

Hi,

As I  already  worked with young learners , I worked on different types of activities to enhance their writing skill. you can start with a matching exercise pictures and sentences.Then, as a second stage you will be dealing with scrambled/jumbled  sentences . Then you will be dealing with dehydrated sentences ( a slash every two or three words) in which students will be asked to replace each slash by one word usually a preposition or conjunction , relative pronoun. Yet, I would highly recommend you start your writing during the reading session in which pupils will write for imitation choose one specific structure and make pupils imitate it give them hints.you can do another activity which would be very efficient at any time of the lesson :you write a few words on the board and ask students to see what they can do with them you will be given different possibilities make them write down the successful ones.and last but not least make students learn 2 or three lines from the book,give them short poems to learn by heart.
Good Luck

5 Apr 2009     

Jayho
Australia

You can try to get a team of three or four to write a sentence which they then read to the class - they often feel more confident in a team situation

6 Apr 2009