Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > WITH OR IN?    

WITH OR IN?

cely
Argentina

WITH OR IN?

Dear teachers:�
I need some help, please.
��I �ve a doubt: �He got a job WITH a big international company, OR He got a job IN a big....?
For me is In but in the text is With...., What �s your opinion?
Thanks a lot!

6 Apr 2009      

mena22
Portugal

Hi cely! We say "work for a company" , not "in a company", so I believe "to have a job" with a company is correct.

Have a good night.
mena

6 Apr 2009     

HARIM
Morocco

For me,they mean the same thing.But it all depends on the speaker.When you use "in",you talk about the location and it can mean that you are an employee.When you use "with",you are praising your position and you aren �t clear about your job.

6 Apr 2009     

cely
Argentina

Thanks but:
The paragraph is: They grew up and left school. Then they got a job with a big international company.
I thought the correct is to say: They got a job in a .... so, �I can �t use the verb GET?

6 Apr 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Hi cely!

They got a job with a big international company is correct.

It is also very common for native speakers to use �in � instead of with in the same sentence.

�With � denotes something you do in partnership while �in � refers to something that you are enclosed or surrounded by (e.g. a location).

Most native speakers would accept both as being correct in the paragraph given.

6 Apr 2009     

Lou2002
United Kingdom

I would say either he �s working in or with a big company.  For me it would depend on the rest of the conversation around it.  I would also say he works FOR a company.  Choose whichever you like! For me�in� does not simply refer to a location, he�s in a group, club, family etc. 

6 Apr 2009     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Cely

Barron �s state:

Preposition + (article) + noun combination: in/on/at/by/with

With your example you can only use in/with: They got a job in/with a big international company

AND

Verb + preposition combinations: about/at/for/from/in/of/on/to/with

With Mena �s example you can use for/in/with:  He works for/in/with a big company.

In Australia these are acceptable.

Cheers

Jayho

6 Apr 2009