Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > telling the time - another question    

telling the time - another question

MartaZ
Poland

telling the time - another question

Hi, Maja �s question concerning telling the time reminded me of my doubt.
I �m sure you can help :)

13.55 It �s five to two - that �s obvious.

I �m not sure, though, about
13.58        It �s two to two               or               It �s two minutes to two?
16.03        It �s three past four         or               It �s three minutes past four?

Is the word minutes necessary here? I �d say it isn �t but I �ve recently read somewhere that it should be added...

Thanks in advance :)

Marta

7 Apr 2009      

Zora
Canada

It may not be "necessary" (I think) BUT I �d put it in if it was less than 4 minutes to.. just because it sounds better that way... 

7 Apr 2009     

Lou2002
United Kingdom

Hi Marta, you �ve got me thinking there.  Being English I know what I say but I don �t always know WHY I say it!  In this case I would say two minutes to two, or three minutes past four - only problem is I �m not sure why!!  And as you say, 13.55 would be 5 to 2.  13.50 would be 10 to 2.  Looking forward to hearing someone �s why for this one! Basically if it�s 5,10,15,20 or 25 I don�t say the word minutes.  However if I say any other number eg 24, 17, 8 I say the minutes.  It�s 22 minutes past 6, it�s 8 minutes to 11.

8 Apr 2009     

eng789
Israel

I agree with Zora, it sound better to add the "minutes" with the smaller numbers.
It �s 3 minutes to two or 3 minutes after two.

8 Apr 2009     

douglas
United States

I say "two to two" because it is fun to say and puts a smile on my face--my students usually laugh about it too (Tutu too?).  I believe both are correct--it �s just a matter of style/taste.

Edit:  for some reason my post was put ahead of the others, it should be 4 or 5 ???

8 Apr 2009     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Well, here I go  ( forgive me, but I am the MOST, LESS native speaker - hehehe )
As probably most of you know I am not NATIVE, so, everything I write can be but rubbish... ( hope not)

It �s two to two

This is something I remember from my school days, ... well, ...  just because it was funny ( ??? may be, I don �t know )

It �s two to two

this is something I teach my students... it �s a funny sentence, for God sake, why can �t we say these kind of sentences and... teach them...
As far as I understand, they are correct, (grammatically speaking ) , so, even if we find it necessary, under some circumstances, to add - " minutes ", it doesn �t mean that " 2 2 2 " is a mistake. It is just a funny, different, informal way of speaking.... ( is it ????, tell me if not )
Please, let me know, I have had this " 2 2 2 " for so many years, in my classes, I am turning a little pale, green, yellow, well, all the rainbow, just wandering if I have been teaching something, less correct, not to say a " COMPLETE MISTAKE "
� waiting for your replies, I learn a lot here, with you, don �t let me down.

8 Apr 2009     

Zora
Canada

I think it depends on the time... 2 to 2 sounds okay yet I �d never say 1 to 2, I �d say 1 minute to two... dunno... other natives out there tonight, watcha all think? Wink

8 Apr 2009     

ameliarator
United States

I would say "it �s one fifty eight" and "it �s four o three"! �Perhaps this is an American/British difference.

8 Apr 2009     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

My God
MY POOR LITTLE CHILDREN,
MY POOR LITTLE STUDENTS.... ( I am crying )
I  am a little strict  when it comes to telling the time, but now I see, what matters is communication, because so many people, from so many different places say so many different things that... all my students � answers are, most probably, right.
Thanks.
I never, ever, had any doubts that they were really super guys.

8 Apr 2009     

Jayho
Australia

Interesting point �

I would say that down under most would do the following:

1.  Round up/down to the nearest five minute slot e.g.

for 11.52 - it�s just gone ten to twelve

for 11.53 � it�s almost five to twelve

2.  If it�s just before the hour/half hour don�t say the exact time e.g.

for 10.32 � it�s just gone 10.30

for 10.28 - It�s almost 10.30

8 Apr 2009     

Zora
Canada

@Olindalima,

I wouldn �t worry too much since it �s better that they learn it properly now because later on in life, they will use whatever way they want or feel comfortable with.

Besides what we say is NOT what we write and if they write the hours wrong or in another way, other teachers that they may have along the way, may mark them wrong...

Smile

8 Apr 2009     

1    2    Next >