Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > thoughts!    

thoughts!

Azza_20
United Arab Emirates

thoughts!

i have some thoughts which i would like to share with ESL printables users regarding the new system of moderators so please feel free to share ur opinion.

i think this new system is not working right! actually i wanted to post this topic for discussion two days ago but couldnt do that as i was busy with other school stuff /activities. and today i saw pika �s thread which i felt terrible about as i know she is creative and her worksheets are stunning!

When I started my membership, I posted a picture and added a line of instruction but it was reported as a copy! So since then I avoided using any pictures before checking the source to avoid such incidents, as most of the users of ESL printables we don�t hold copyright of the pictures we find on the web unless we have personally illustrated and then used them in our materials.

I received a notification on Thursday regarding a poster which I have uploaded of Hello Kitty I Love Reading! i uploaded it under (other printables) from the menu bar. It was reported by other members as not an ESL printable, therefore it was removed.

For God sake, i know its a poster!! and i stated that very clearly its not like a poster which i posted it under worksheets or flash cards!!

I don�t want my membership to be cancelled based on peoples opinion. Honestly, it wasn�t a valid opinion as educators and teachers we have no right to judge each other materials whether it�s an ESL printable or not unless it was copied. I have a number of published books by famous authors and publishers such as the famous Tell it Again by Penguin it has some craft templates, coloring pages to be photocopied but I don�t have to judge the book and say this is not an ESL book because it is.

who are we to judge and say this is an ESL printable or not? or "this is  poor work"  or not? if i find the worksheet "poor" and "a waste of time" someone else might find it useful! 

so, what�s the standard definition of an ESL printable?

From my short experience as a graduate of the Teaching English to Young Learners program, ESL materials are any materials created to enhance students learning English whether it was a picture prop, worksheet, puzzle, sticker, resource pack, flashcard, poem, poster�etc.

If my contribution was useless I don�t mind it being removed but I�ve spent so much time creating 22 posters which I�ve only uploaded 2 of them and they are all have a sentence to encourage students to read. I am teaching very young learners in an EFL context and for their level it�s suitable to read simple sentences. i only uploaded it as other teachers  (who are also members of ESL printables ) have seen my posters and requested these materials to decorate thier classroom, it wasnt my intention to get extra points without posting "good materials".

besides, i �ve seen stickers, writing pages with frames, bookmarks, bulletin board sets, craft templates being posted here but these materials was not removed although we can actually say this is not an ESL materials as its mainly a picture with no language!! but i dont feel that i have the right to  report them  as these materials are valuable to ESL teachers and can enhance students learning a foriegn language.

I am quite disappointed as I enjoyed being part of the ESLprintables family and the website has been a great resource for me to learn from others and to share with other teachers but what I find frustrating is that a lot of members think in terms of �points�.People have gone crazy about points that they judge other members. I feel my printable was reported as �just a poster, not an ESL printable� just because other members think that I�ve only posted it to increase my points which is unsound judgment. I have enough points to download as much materials as i want apart from my 30 daily free downloads.

i am interested in hearing ur thoughts about this whole ESL not ESL material!! so please feel free to share.  

13 Apr 2009      

Ivona
Serbia

Dear lovely Silke,
we have 165.000 accounts but not that many users. If you know what i mean. Wink
Apologies for your post being pushed out by this short silly post of mine. Embarrassed

13 Apr 2009     

Hazza
Australia

Can �t we just allow each member to choose what is suitable for them? I have downloaded posters because they enrich the classroom with text or provide a discussion point with a child who is interested in the visuals. I can �t see that that is not providing an experience for a child!!
After all if no one chooses a worksheet it is removed anyway!!!!
I think stolen ones should be removed but I think that making judgments concerning other people �s work should be left to the members who are downloading!!!!
We have a wide range of ESL students in the classroom, many with disabilities. I use a lot of visuals with my autistic student because that is what works for her.

13 Apr 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

Dear Hazza,
I think i read it in a discussion somewhere (maybe it was even Victor himself who said it) that posters, FCs and other pics are used in class and are of great help for students, but that this site does not accept them, saying they are not an ESL resource. The reason for that is probably - space. If anyone needs pictures, posters or FCs, there are bookmarks here that can lead you to a much bigger source.
What do you think?

13 Apr 2009     

JulietaVL
Mexico

I agree Hazza, I also think that making judgments concerning other people �s work should be left to the members who are downloading!!! and of course the stolen ones should absolutely be removed

13 Apr 2009     

Naranjas
Russian Federation

Hi everybody!
I think all of you forgot one liitle thing that changes everything: this site belongs to one person who is also its creator - Victor. He set very clear rules about what is and what isn �t a ESL printable on this very site. Cards with exercises are an ESL resource, a picture or a border aren �t.
I just can �t understand what �s all that fuss about! If you need a picture just find it through google, if you want to share a picture - give a link.
Here is a quotation you were all supposed to read before downloading anything:

"We only accept ESL resources written in English language.�A frame, a border or a single drawing is not an ESL resource. Remember that this website is not a clipart collection."

13 Apr 2009     

mjotab
Spain

Hello, I am new to this site, and when I saw it I thought it was the best idea ever. I imagine the amount of work Victor has done in it since I have a much humbler site and it takes me a lot of time.

The site had the feeling of the beginnings of the internet, the pleasure of sharing. You have something that may be useful, you share it. I think it is not right to hurt these kind of people �s feelings to punish anyone. If something is not useful, do not download it, but don �t take the risk of letting valuable people go.

I know there may be variables I am not considering, but I am sure that making people feel guilty, or worried, is not a good way to improve their creativity.

And my congratulations to this site again.

13 Apr 2009     

source
Turkey

I have the same thoughts with you dear Azza...As I think , one thing that isnt useful for me can be diamond for other teacher...Everyone needs different things according to their criteria.

Hazza �s question is a good point...

Can �t we just allow each member to choose what is suitable for them? But....

By the way I know the rules of this site. As Victor said...

The rules of the website say that printables which include pictures and nothing else are not allowed. I �m not saying that they are not useful, but this is not a clipart website.
The contributions should involve a task in which students have to listen, speak, read or write in English language.
Cliparts, frames, decorations, etc. are not allowed (even if other users find them useful).

So , the best suggestion is from dear ladybird...We can share these kind of stuff without gaining or spending points...

13 Apr 2009     

roneydirt
United States

ESL vs. Non-ESL....  That has been a very serious topic and I find that most of the leaders in the ESL-TESL-ESOL-TOIC-CELFTA and others that I may have missed are incompetent.  So what is an ESL worksheet?  It is an item that can in anyway be used to enhance or used as in any part of a lesson that helps students learn the material.  That is the bottom line.  What helps one student may not help another and vise-versa.  But this "community" is full of elitist and charlatans trying to sell junk.  Since going full time in the teaching realm in 2003 I have gone to 32 different TESOL forms of meetings including meeting what are classified as the leaders in the field.  I found their material and studies phony and most was basically copies of material used in decades in the past.  I love the discussion on how to teach Chinese students with the gentleman that is classified as the father of TESOL bringing it into the modern age.  His study was with one student that already lived 5 years in Australia and the student was not even in his actual class, it was one semester in his intern �s class.  But in the meeting I brought that up and was literally threaten by others for doing that.

Do not get too dishearten by those that challenge you are even what some may classified as an attempt to just get points.  They lack the knowledge or ignore the reality that no two students learn exactly the same way.  What may seem as just a worthless poster to one can be utilized by another in ways the others didn �t know or choose not to know.  The education fields for centuries have been plagued with special interest groups pushing teaching techniques and materials from one place to another for their own special interest which usually consist of money.

As for the poster it and a few others I have used in enhancing students describing techniques as just one quick example.  I have tried to use more traditional stuff but getting students that are not really wanting to learn in the first place is and has always been hard.  The posters worked well as well as games only a few years ago were "do not allow in the class" like Taboo and Battleship.

13 Apr 2009     

Hazza
Australia

My autistic student generally only responds to visuals so it makes my teaching life so much easier by providing her support staff with great resources they can use and, as they are on different topics and I can choose each day what I think will be useful that day or week, I would be sad to lose this in the future.

13 Apr 2009     

Naranjas
Russian Federation

To Hazza:
Nobody says its forbidden to use posters and pictures and cards in the classroom. I don �t think your Internet provider doesn �t allow you to visit any other site except this.�
But it �s just against the wish of the owner of this site that he clearly expressed to us.
It �s like coming to some clothes shop where they sell all kinds of clothes except underwear �and asking for underpants. And when the assistant tells you they don �t sell them tell him that underpants are also clothes so they should!!! That looks kind of crazy IMHO.

13 Apr 2009     

1    2    Next >