Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > A Great Activity    

A Great Activity

alex1968
Greece

A Great Activity

Hi Everyone!
Since I �m on holiday, I finally have the leisure of sharing with you a good experience I had with my YLs.

I took Pika �s activity on how to make a carrot cake
and did the ws with my YLs.

The next lesson (Friday) I took in all the utensils (mixer, measuring cups, spoons etc) and ingredients required to make the carrot cake.

I got all the kids to wash their hands before we began.  We laid everything out on the tablecloth.  They then took it in turns to measure out ingredients and use the mixer.  Everytime a utensil was used, I made the S go and wash it.  That way all the Ss were involved in every part of the process.
(I replaced oil with water & used less sugar etc to cut down on the cost of waste)
We had a lot of fun! 

Finally, the cake was in the cake mold but where would we bake it?  I told the kids I �d bake it at home and bring it to class on Monday.
What I did as soon as I left was secretely throw away the mixture and just made up the proper batter on Sunday evening, baked it & took it to school on Monday.

Repeating the same process above, we made the icing.
Finally we iced the cake and ate it.  It was delicious!

WoW!....Carrot Cake!The kids told me it was the most fun activity they �d done all year!  We even sent up a piece the principal!

I highly recommend this activity to anyone who teaches small groups (mine is made up of 10 kids aged 9-11).

This is my colleague outdoors with some of the kids when we went out to eat!  I took the photoSmile
Alex

13 Apr 2009      

pirchy
Israel

What a great idea!!! I can imagine the happy faces of your pupils when they saw the cake you brought for them.
I �m going to make this cake myself as I �m on holiday and I  have the time.
Have a wonderful weekHug

13 Apr 2009     

GIOVANNI
Canada

I did the same thing, but with adult students.    We made a dessert that did not need to be baked and ate it right away.  I found that it was a perfect way to learn and practice vocabulary.  The class enjoyed it so much that everyone brought in a simple recipe and we created a small recipe book.

Alex is right, it �s a great activity.

13 Apr 2009