Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > What is allowed and what is not?    

What is allowed and what is not?

berta1
Czech Republic

What is allowed and what is not?

I wonder if this flashcard is allowed or not:English worksheet: Sports flashcards (1 of 3)

Lokk at the discussion in reported contributions and read Victor�s comment in the forum:

We are here to share our work, that is what eslprintables is about.
But if someone makes a worksheet like this:
Probably the cow wasn �t drawn by the user, so... I would say that the user is contributing nothing of his/her own work. If other users download this worksheet it would be because they like the cow. Should the user get points for a picture that he/she didn �t draw?
Moreover, it is a matter of space. We have limited gigabites, and we should reserve them for original ESL resources, not pictures that we could find in other websites. If we find a wonderful picture, we can share the link instead of making a worksheet with that picture.
It is different if you make a set of flashcards. In that case, you have to spend time looking for free pictures with the same "style" and topic. That is a personal work, and that is what we share here.

13 Apr 2009

Cheers

13 Apr 2009      

Logos
Malaysia

Flash cards are an essential tool in our arsenal of resources to help teachers and we have an avid Flashcarder in the form of Vickii who would be elected flash card queen if there was such a title.

But the question posed above seems to suggest that the first set of pictures (sports)  is okay as a resource, whilst the second one (cow) is not.  I would say that BOTH are not really acceptable forms of resources.

Both are obviously taken from other illustrations - either on the web or scanned from books.  I doubt if the athletics pictures were drawn by the person posting it as a flashcard so what is the difference between the two really.

Both are just pictures with words - no exercises and I would hardly call two pictures of sports a set of flash cards.

I would suggest that the only acceptable form of flash cards would be an unusual set of pictures (say animals only found in Patagonia or sports which use left handed bats)  as there are already a thousand flash cards available for parts of the body, animals, sports and hobbies in general.

The other exception would be if anyone is so talented that they can produce their own unique illustrations for sharing on this site and nowhere else, then they should state this in the introduction.  There is one member I recall who has done this with action verbs. 

Having said all this, it also comes back to the idea that one teacher �s clipart is another  teacher �s resource and it begs the question: When is clipart a flashcard and when are flashcards just clipart with names??????

13 Apr 2009     

liani
Indonesia

Hi Logos,
I seldom comment here , but I read a lot . Since I knew this place , I always spend my time here . This site makes me more creative than I used to be . You know why ??? Because I want to download all the good things here , which encourage me to make my own ... though not as good as others, but I really try hard . :-)

And Logos, I always like reading your comments . I find you a very wise and attentive one.
Warm Greetings from Indonesia , logos . :-)

Happy Easter to all of you ....

Victor ... Happy Easter to you too .
I sent a comment to you, but seem you never replied and read mine, :-(

Liani
Bandung - Indonesia

13 Apr 2009     

anatavner
Israel

I totally agree with Logos and I would like also to add that flash cards are just bigger or larger cliparts!

What I suggest is to add to the flash card a lesson plan or an activity - because the person who needs the flash cards need them for a reason or has created them for a reason. And this reason is the lesson plan.

I think the flash card issue was discussed here a few days ago and the idea to add an activity/lesson plan was also suggested and I think it is the right thing to do.

Anat

13 Apr 2009     

mpotb
Spain

Berta,

You asked the difference between those flashcards (the two pictures in your post).... read what Victor said about flashcards:  http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=6803

"As I said before, A single flashcard would not be acceptable, but a set of flashcards (in a single document or a series of documents) would be OK.  We all understand that flashcards are esl resources. Don �t we?"

The flashcard you pointed out is part of a set: 14 sport flashcards divided into three printables.

13 Apr 2009     

Logos
Malaysia

Then we are in full agreement.  My comment was based on the fact that I could only see two pictures on one page - to me this is not a set of flash cards.  If the contribution had indeed been 14 different cards then that to me would be a set.  The fact that they were spread over 3 contributions is something that should be stated in the description of the material so that the shefiff �s and deputies can see this and not just think they are isolated pictures

Nice to be in agreement all round 

13 Apr 2009