Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > We can īt please everybody!    

We can īt please everybody!

Anna P
Brazil

We can īt please everybody!

Reading all the recent arguments here in the Forum I thought about this old story.

The Old Man, the Boy, and the Donkey

An old man and a young boy were traveling through their village with their donkey. The boy rode on the donkey and the old man walked.

As they went along they passed some people who remarked it was a shame the old man was walking and the boy was riding.

The man and boy thought maybe the critics were right, so they changed positions.

Later, they passed some people that remarked, "What a shame, he makes that little boy walk." They then decided they both would walk.

Soon they passed some more people who thought they were stupid to walk when they had a decent donkey to ride. So, they both rode the donkey.

Now they passed some people that shamed them by saying, "How awful to put such a load on a poor donkey."

The boy and man said they were probably right, so they decided to carry the donkey.

As they crossed the bridge, they lost their grip on the animal and he fell into the river and drowned.

And the moral, of course, is that if you try to please everyone you will never know what to do, it will be hard to get anywhere, you will please no-one, not even yourself, and you will probably lose everything. There are 164910 teachers in this site. Impossible to please everyone!

13 Apr 2009      

Anna P
Brazil

Sorry Unhappy, I didn īt realise I would get sooooo big!

13 Apr 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

Clap

13 Apr 2009     

andreaewa
Uruguay

Do you know something? you are right. I īll try to do my best and stop suggesting others what to do.
Thanks for your thoughts. You made me think

13 Apr 2009     

chobby
Mexico

Thumbs Up I totally agree with you!

It īs impossible to please everybody because like they say in Spanish "cada cabeza es un mundo" trslt : "every head is a world of its own"

13 Apr 2009     

aftab57
United Kingdom

Great story Anna P and in fact its about the character in my avatar - Mulla Nasruddin the funny wiseman of Turkey - and how true.

13 Apr 2009     

anaisabel001
Spain

ClapGreat story and  a fantastic moral. Thank you!!!

Thumbs Up
Clap

13 Apr 2009     

source
Turkey

waow it was nice :)

Good point aftab, it is like the nasreddin hoja īs stories and anecdotes style...

One of my favourite :

A local busybody, wanting to be rewarded for bringing good tidings, ran to Nasreddin Hoja𠏋 house one day.
𤨩asreddin Hoja! Good news!�
𥜥hat is it?�
騻hey are baking cakes next door!�
𥜥hat is that to me?�
颷ut they are going to give you some!�
𥜥hat is that to you?�Tongue

13 Apr 2009     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Thanks Anna, we were waiting for some wisdom - O velho, o rapaz e o burro ( translated into our Portuguese ) - old stories have this kind of magic - they never get old, or better, they are like Porto wine, the oldest, the best.
Thanks

14 Apr 2009     

Osqui
Argentina

Very Good story!! Thumbs Up good post!

14 Apr 2009     

venezababi
Brazil

Beautiful! Thumbs Up

14 Apr 2009