Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > the origin of OK    

the origin of OK

wilwarin32
Argentina

the origin of OK

Hi, dear all! I need your help! Could you please tell me about the origin of the expression "OK"? I �ve heard different opinions on this matter, and I would like to know what �s yours.
Thanks in advance,
                                       Hugs from Argentina

14 Apr 2009      

wilwarin32
Argentina

Thanks Silke! the site �s been really useful!

14 Apr 2009     

Etche
Argentina

I know that it comes from Zero (0) Killed (K). When the soldiers wanted to know how many killed people there were , they said OK, meaning Zero Killed. That �s why it means all right. Hope it is useful!

14 Apr 2009     

efush
Israel

My favourite is:
0 Killed (Zero Killed)
The term that was used by officers in wars to say there were no casualties after a battle.
O.K.   -->No one is dead. That �s a good thing, Isn �t it?

14 Apr 2009     

cecio_13
Argentina

I agree with ETCHE and EFUSH... I know the same.

14 Apr 2009     

aldanaVenadoTuerto
Argentina

Well, that �s what i thought it meant too....but have a look at what i found in www.encyclopedia.com

OK
ORIGIN: mid 19th cent.: probably an abbreviation of orl korrect, humorous form of all correct, popularized as a slogan during President Van Buren �s reelection campaign of 1840; his nickname Old Kinderhook (derived from his birthplace) provided the initials.

So, who �s right?!?!?

14 Apr 2009