Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help me out with this !    

Help me out with this !

hanhxuanthao
Vietnam

Help me out with this !

circle the capital part which is pronounced differently from others

A. ranGED  

B. manaGED

C. chanGED

D . raGED

16 Apr 2009      

ggroneet
Israel

I really think they sound the same:)

Try this web-site http://howjsay.com/ and find out.
Good Luck

16 Apr 2009     

Zora
Canada

As a native speaker, I �d say they are all they same sound... at least, they all sound the same to me and if there is a difference it �s almost imperceptible.  Confused  

16 Apr 2009     

puspita
Indonesia

Yes, I guess they all sound about the same.. maybe if there �s another g in option D; ra(g)GED; it may sound differently... 

16 Apr 2009     

aclink
United States

I think they all sound mostly the same but managed has a SLIGHTLY different sound on the G but it �s not something I would have noticed if I was not looking for it!  As a native speaker I really do not think it matters!

16 Apr 2009     

Cristiane Prates
Brazil

If a a word functions as the past of a regular verb it is pronounced "djd", there`s no extra syllable from the bare infinitive form, that is ,you don`t pronounce the letter E.
But if it`s an adjective you do pronounce   E, so you add one more syllable. "djed". I believe the one that may sound differently is changed, as in changed world, etc....

16 Apr 2009     

hanhxuanthao
Vietnam

thank you very much

16 Apr 2009     

helena2009
Hungary

If you wanted to type  ragGED   (instead of raGED) this is the different sound.

Am I right?

J.

16 Apr 2009     

Zora
Canada

@judy

In the case of "ragGED" - yes, it �s a different sound than "raGED". Smile

16 Apr 2009     

hanhxuanthao
Vietnam

But in this case , it �s raGED[:(]

16 Apr 2009     

lacorinita
Italy

Hi!

If all are past regular verbs, ALL OF THEM HAVE THE SAME PRONUNCIATION as they are part of the VOICED GROUP. The -ed of the regular past tense is pronounced as /d/ after a voiced sound. (sounds that are produced by vibration of the vocal chords). Regular verbs ending with the /g/ sound (as in judge, change, range, etc) are pronounced /d/
At least, it was I learnt at the university... a long time ago!!
Cori 

16 Apr 2009     

1    2    Next >