Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > English words in TV commercials - help me my friends :)    

English words in TV commercials - help me my friends :)

lady_alicze
Poland

English words in TV commercials - help me my friends :)

Hi!
I�m writing a thesis on English borrowings in Polish TV commercials. I would like to ask YOU whether in your countries there appear English words in advertising too. If yes, do you like it or not? And how do ordinary people react to anglicisms in ads?
Thank you in advance for your help :)

17 Apr 2009      

guimaraescristiano
Brazil

Here in Brazil it happens a lot, even if anglicisms are not understood by the whole population we still use it in many different areas. I would like to help if you want. Latin America is so much influenced by anglicisms, specialyy those coming from the US.

17 Apr 2009     

Tere-arg
Argentina

Here, in Argentina they are used on tv and in every day life. it has become something common.
I am not a purist, but I think people lose the richness of their mother language when replacing it in every day communication.

17 Apr 2009     

BashayerS
Kuwait

In Kuwait, English is used as a second language. Most people speak it fluently and it is taught starting in KG.

Most ads that are produced in Kuwait come in two languages one is Arabic and another the same in English.

I find myself reading the English ads more than the Arabic ones. I don �t know why maybe because they seem more interesting and somehow related to my interest in English language.

Most people here also prefer English ads specially teenagers because they think it �s cool! "Media"

People who do not speak English here of course go for the Arabic ones.

Note: Foreigners in Kuwait are more than Kuwaitis! therefore, English language is vital here.

17 Apr 2009     

gilorit
Israel

In Israel the official languages are Hebrew and Arabic.

All signs are written in 3 languahes : Hebrew - Arabic and English.

English is taught since elementary school but kids opick up English from TV way before.

There are words that are used in everyday life.

There are borrowed word almost from every language in Hebrew, since we are a country of immigrants and there are people from all over the world here.A lot of people speak Russian too.

In schools English is a major subject. Kids also learn Arabic and in some schools French is taught

Orit;-)

17 Apr 2009     

FroggyClaudine
France

In France, I would say it all depends on people. English or any other languages actually is not allowed if it �s not translated. So people making the ads freely use English but they translate.
I love English but honestly, it tends to get on my nerves when people use English whereas the word or expression does exist in French. I think every language has its richness and I would agree with Tere that if you don �t make the effort, you could lose this richness. And moreover, some translations are wrong !

17 Apr 2009     

Aimee/S.
Israel

Hi
English is used a great deal in Israeli ads and in brand names, too. Somehow it �s more powerful than Hebrew. For example Israeli Satellite TV is called "YES" and Cable TV is "HOT". Nobody really worries about it. Linguists and journalists occasionally complain in the medias about the excessive use of anglicisms, but some of these anglicisms are  more convincing that the Hebrew equivalents!
Best of luck for your paper,
Aimee

17 Apr 2009     

em52
Turkey

hello,

This is also a very important issue in Turkey because generally every store has a name in English although they are not universal companies,  even the smallest stores have name in English so anglicism is very dominant in Turkey!Although some argue that they should be in Turkish some argue that English is an international language but English is always used in ads in Turkey..

17 Apr 2009     

lady_alicze
Poland

thank you avery much for your answers :) They are really helpful to my study :)

17 Apr 2009     

douglas
United States

I was at a Subway sandwich shop in Germany yesterday and all the items were named in English (e.g. "Turkey, ham and beef sub")--I found it quite interesting, I even brought some of their menus home to use with my students.  The people didn �t seem to have a problem with it at all.  English is used extensively (and very successfully) in advertising in Germany

18 Apr 2009