Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Any brilliant ideas?!    

Any brilliant ideas?!

Maja O.
Poland

Any brilliant ideas?!

Hello everyone,
I need some brilliant ideas and I know that you can help me :)
I �m preapring my students for a competition where they have to show their gift for English language and being an artist. To be more specific, they must sing a song, say a poem or just prepare a school play. The problem is that I work in a big school ( there are about 650 studets) and many of my students want to take part in the competition. I lack of ideas.
Plase help me to find some interesting ideas. I �ll be very gratefull for every helping hand.

HAVE A NICE WEEKEND!!!!
Hug

17 Apr 2009      

fletsch
Canada

Hi Maja
One idea I can think of, is that at my University, my students took part in an English competition.  Each group of about 5 students played a clip from a movie on the overhead projector.  The volume was off on the movie.  They had microphones, and each student played a character and had to say the lines that the person in the movie was saying.  Some of the groups even had one member who did sound effects (such as doors closing, etc).  It was not only fun for the students and interesting to watch, but also a great way for the students to practice their English.  I don �t know if this is what you had in mind?  Anyhow, good luck and a nice weekend to you too!
Fletsch

18 Apr 2009     

carinocitalgonzalez
Mexico

FLETSCH
thank you so much for sharing it!
Carino 

18 Apr 2009     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi, Fletsch,
it sounds great, it could be a nice thing to do with my students. Unfortunately, not now, my school year has just begun the final race and I am overloaded. It �s a pity, don �t why, but most of the times when some brilliant ideas show up, I am always at a loss with huge of things. I made a print screen to store, so that i don �t miss the idea.
Great, hope to hear from you again, tell us more ideasThumbs Up

18 Apr 2009     

carinocitalgonzalez
Mexico

Let me tell you this, last december I prepared a TALENT SHOW with my students, they sang and danced, acted in short dialogues, told poems in pairs, and teams of 3 to 10 members, since monday to thursday I checked their final presentation and that friday the best teams showed again their presentation for all shool, I hope you can prepare a TALENT SHOW where your students present different abilities and their talents.

18 Apr 2009     

Logos
Malaysia

One activity that springs to mind which can involve a large number of students working together in English is a Choral Speaking competition.  It is approximately 30 to 40 work as a team with a script and say it out loud together.  The coordination and different ways you can play with the script and present it with individuals or small groups saying different parts can make this quite entertaining.

The greatest contribution to English is not actually in the performance, but in the rehearsals and practice to get it right.

Check out Choral Speaking on Google to find more information how to conduct this activity

18 Apr 2009