Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Hello ! Everybody    

Hello ! Everybody

Teacher Khalid
Jordan

Hello ! Everybody

I wounder if I can resort to my first language in teaching English to my students,especially in teaching new vocabulary items or in reading passages.

Thanks

19 Apr 2009      

missola
Palestine

My supervisor always says that we should never use our language in teaching english even if the students didn �t understand some vocabulary words. However, I didn �t listen to such instructions all the time because my students are very weak compared to the level in which they are. So that �s why I used to ask them to try to guess the meaning of difficult words and if they can �t give me an english meaning I tell them to try to find an arabic meaning. But be careful, when you translate or use arabic, never do this to translate whole passages or even sentences, not even questions. All you do when you feel that you are stuck is that you let them try to figure out the meaning of the difficult words and if they couldn �t guess give them some hints. If they didn �t guess at all then you can tell them the meaning but reinforce the english english meaning. Also tell them that you will never write arabic on the board or translate every single word and that you will say the meaning once and they are responsible to know this word because you will not explain in for them another time in the future.

I make such deals with my students and they worked.
I hope I helped you a little bit.

19 Apr 2009     

class centre
Belarus

I usually speak only English when we play ( they can guess by gestures), when we describe pictures ( i point to some details), when we just talk and they understand in general the conversation, when I finish the lesson, when I praise their work  and so on. But when I explain grammar rules I always speak our mother tongue to make sure they understand me correctly. Rules must not be too strict when we work with children. We have to be flexible and take into account their reaction and their skills.
Good luck.

19 Apr 2009     

ggroneet
Israel

I try to speak English in class, but with young learners (7-8) it is very difficult.
I agree that grammar lessons should be taught in mother language - to make sure the students understand everything.

If I think that the class didn �t understand my questions/requests I say it again in their mother tongue.

Hope that helps..

19 Apr 2009     

eng789
Israel

I only use L1 when nothing else works.

19 Apr 2009     

jamiejules
France

when I teach very young children (4,5,6 years old) I never speak anything but English, we interact with cards, games,mimes, songs...
Because I teach in a "rough" secondary modern as well I find that the older they get the more difficult it is to conduct lessons in English purely because they haven �t been learning their lesson at home for a long time (families don �t care if their kids succeed and they never make them do their homework).
I do try though but it is very difficult also because they act as if I am not in the room (the 15,16 year old ones). what I think works best with them is when I use the over head projector and they all know that will have to remember the info or fill in a quiz afterwards. Grammar I have to with them in French  but only at the end when they have already used the notion by copying and they are the one who make deductions on how it works.

19 Apr 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

I �m like Eng789. I teach students from age 7 to 12 and I avoid using L1, even with grammar. Not always easy but worth the effort in the long run.

19 Apr 2009     

douglas
United States

If I remember right Swan (or whoever that guy that we talked about on the forum a few weeks ago was) says use L1 to explain grammar in order to ensure they truly understand it.  I use L1 regularly in my teaching--especially with beginners and intermediates.

19 Apr 2009     

BRAHIM S
France

I use L1 as a last resort, but again I first make sure that noone in the group can do it, otherwise I far much prefer that one of my brilliant student �does it for me
My principle is: as a teacher of English I am supposed to speak only English

23 Apr 2009