Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning powerpoints > Suitable or unsuitable? Just images or text?    

Suitable or unsuitable? Just images or text?

crisholm
Spain

Suitable or unsuitable? Just images or text?

I am getting a bit uneasy about some things going on in this forum as to when some worksheets are to be considered teaching material or not. While in some cases the distinction is very clear -a single carrot to colour, for example-, in others it is not so clear-cut. In my own case, I use powerpoints (just because they are so much cheaper than printing out colour flashcards or handouts to give all the students, which would be unthinkable of in a state school!) to stimulate oral production. Therefore, some of my powerpoints have no words precisely because they are meant to induce oral production from my students (of course, I could include a safeguard list in a final slide). This is not just picture production - it has a definite aim, which is bringing the �real world � into the classroom for students to name.
Nothing else. I was just musing - we should not underestimate the use of images. Is a flashcard a flashcard when it has words on it? Isn �t it more useful (on some stage of the process) WITHOUT the words?
Good night, sleep well, thank you for your wonderful work, even if I don �t always say so because I am in a hurry or just tired. Keep it up, folks!

19 Apr 2009      

mena22
Portugal

Dear Crisholm, I think right now we all still feel a bit uneasy about the issue, because, just as you �ve said, sometimes it �s really difficult to draw the line between what should be considered an ESL resource and not.

Victor has given us some examples to help us out. And one of them are  flashcards. There is a picture of an apple in a single worksheet. No words. He says, and I quote, "This should be removed unless it is part of a set of flashcards."

So, as you can see, crisholm, there is no rule saying that you have to add words to a flashcard.
You don �t. There is nothing wrong with your powerpoint. The only thing I can suggest is that if you don �t have a description of your activity, maybe you could add it.

Wish you a good night!
hugs,
mena

20 Apr 2009     

Dalya
Kuwait

well i think every teacher has his or her own way of using everything so ..

you may find something not quiet clear or usefull while others would find them very very helpful

it depends on creativity or maybe the imagination of that teacher .. and also the type of the excercise ..

not mentioning the type of students you �re teaching ..

I don �t know i �m still a student I don �t want to stick to my opinions but i think that everything is supposed to be possible if it is going to facilitate the teaching process

even if it breaks the rules of "what a flashcard supposed to be" for example .

I don �t think that putting things into a closed format will be good for teachers

I mean we should not define things for them so that they do things the way WE believe is right

we should give them the chance to create their own ways to teach things

some teachers are good with images

some are good with words

some prefer ppt

some like Overhead projectors ...

so ...

I hope I understood you correctly ...

I don �t know, i �m not trying to disagree with you but i �m also not trying to agree .. i �m just saying my point of view ..

but i know what you �re trying to say ..

message recieved ^_^

10 May 2009