Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > AFTER OR BEFORE?    

AFTER OR BEFORE?

zailda
Brazil

AFTER OR BEFORE?

I see many people complaining about the new rules, but I remember I saw people complaining about the old one as well. It looks like people are never satisfied. We �re only humans and sometimes we make mistakes, but we �ll learn. With the good and the bad side, but we certainly will.

I have a point-of-view and I don �t know if people agree. I saw some wss with only clipart and no activities and members voting to leave them because they are possibly useful TO PREPARE AN ACTIVITY for our ss. There are plenty of sites where you can find cliparts and resources to prepare a ws but in my opinion when you post it here it should be READY TO USE.

If you find nice clipart, you have to prepare a WORKsheet to post here, and not cut and paste the pics and post here for the teachers to download and then prepare their wss. I imagine that a ws is something people ADD THEIR WORK in BEFORE uploading it here, and not the people who download the ws to ADD THEIR WORK AFTER DOWNLOADING.

It �s simple, some people cut & paste and leave the work for someone else (who will not get points for that and cannot upload it again or the "owner" can report it), and they (with the points they got with NO WORK AT ALL) download READY-TO-USE WORKSHEETS.

I agree that with some wss you have to add or take some parts of to better fit your needs, but I don �t want "possible" wss using the space here.

I write it here because as a moderator, if most of people don �t agree with my point-of-view I �ll consider it next time and feel I have to vote with the majority �s opinion, even if I disagree.

So...?

20 Apr 2009      

Kita19
Portugal

Hi zailda!

You are right about "worksheets" with only clipart and no activities. Those I agree to vote to be removed. It �s stated in the rules of the site that this site is no clipart collection.

However, I already saw some worksheets with only a picture or, at first view, only a colouring page, where the person describes specifically what to do in class with it (asking the students to colour it in a specific way, for example). In this case, I think the worksheet shouldn �t be deleted, simply because it has an innerent task. Do you know what I mean? In the example I gave, the students would be practicing colours and/or numbers and developing their listening skills.

I don �t know if you and the other members here agree with my point of view. And I �m also not very sure if Victor considers this allowed or not... it would be nice to know.

I must disagree with you when you say "if most of people don �t agree with my point-of-view I �ll consider it next time and feel I have to vote with the majority �s opinion, even if I disagree." - If you disagree and vote against your beliefs, what �s the point in voting? concerning this matter, I think you should vote what you think it �s correct. Besides, we all must vote according to the rules of the site, so there is not much to discuss about, is it?

20 Apr 2009     

eng789
Israel

How about notebook covers?????

20 Apr 2009     

agkk
Turkey

Zailda I totally agree with you. You very well described my thoughts. Ayşe

20 Apr 2009     

pinarkrts
Turkey

totally R IGHT ....

Cliparts are really good to motivate ss but only it includes good exercises as well.

but scanning a book is not and NEVER acceptable I think; because when you do it, you are not doing sth for the ESL teachers.

20 Apr 2009     

roneydirt
United States

<<<<<I agree that with some wss you have to add or take some parts of to better fit your needs, but I don �t want "possible" wss using the space here. >>>>>

If we followed this then technically nothing would get posted.  I really haven �t seen anything all that new just old stuff with some cosmetic touch ups or a word here or there changed to a more modern term.   Do we really think we are creating something totally new with our worksheets?  Would you like to borrow my textbooks from 1940 �s or even a few older than that?  Reason for having old textbooks is... working on a thesis showing that what little really has changed over the history of education.  What was in this week maybe labeled un-educational next week and then later on with some basic cosmetic touches is back in again depending on who is financing that particular push in education.  The only big change in the last 20 years is technology and materials readily more available to be used.

On the vote thing....  Vote with your heart and not was the mass said for you to vote.  History has greatly shown the misguided affects for those that vote to the mass and not their personal beliefs which have cut lives short as worst case scenario.  Doubt a vote on here to the mass will end in a death, only hurt feelings and a guilty conscience.

Maybe  I should post an edit version of the thesis or just the "What is and what is not ESL material or any other subject material?" portion of the document.  Especially since that question seems to continually come up.

20 Apr 2009     

zailda
Brazil

When I say I �ll vote with majority is because the site is not ONLY MINE and I have to vote under the site rules. I want to clear up what the other members think about, in order to avoid being unfair and voting to remove acceptable wss that fit the site rules, even if I would rather delect them.

I have my own opinion about what is and what isn �t a WORKsheet but as you can observe reading the reporting page, what some people consider a valuable work is not a ws in my opinion.

But I �ll try to do my best and be careful when voting. I don �t want to be strict or lenient with people, just fairly appart members � work that really mean WORK from the laziness of others that upload the same ws many times or cut & paste something they found somewhere just to get points and take advantage of being here. It would be unfair with the members who work hard to make the site an amazing example of colaboration & cooperation.

20 Apr 2009