Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > NEED YOUR HELP! RULES FOR BOARDGAMES    

NEED YOUR HELP! RULES FOR BOARDGAMES

svetamarik Svetlana
Russian Federation

NEED YOUR HELP! RULES FOR BOARDGAMES

Dear colleagues! I need your help. I have never created any board games but I would like to prepare some for my students. I see a lot of wonderful examples here. But I need a list of general rules for board games, some clear instructions suitable for diffrerent kinds of boardgames. If you could� share your ideas and experience , I would be very grateful!�

SVETLANA (Svetamarik)

20 Apr 2009      

Naranjas
Russian Federation

The easiest variant is:
First all the students throw the dice one by one. Who has the largest number starts and then clockwise from him.
The first one throws the dice again and goes forward as much steps as the dice shows. Then he does the thing that is written on the square where he stands(it may be some English task, or miss a turn, or go back/forward some steps). Then the next one clockwise throws the dice and goes and they go on like that till somebody reaches the Finish square. The one who reaches it first is the winner.
This is the simplest variant - there are a lot of more complicated ones.

20 Apr 2009     

Vickiii
New Zealand

Very clear instructions naranjas.

I like to use two dice the students have to add them up before moving i.e.
2 plus 3 = 5 - then move the pieces

This improves their number recognition and basic facts.

Snakes and ladders type games are great - I make quesiton cards and the children have to answer a question correctly to go up the ladder or answer the question correctly to stay at the head of the snake.  The question cards can be changed regularly and are often made up by the children as projects.

If you search and download games on this site you will get a good list of rules for different games to emulate.

20 Apr 2009     

moravc
Czech Republic

I use 2 dice as well - but 2 plus 3 - move first 2 spaces , answer questions, AND then move 3 spaces AND answer the questions (good for small group of kids...)

if they do not answer correctly - go back

also nice to INCLUDE some chalenging EXTRA cards if they fail to answer correctly, they have a chance to answer another question

Sorry I have to go... contact me via pm, I �ll try to answer in detail ... later...

20 Apr 2009