Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > How do you fight fossilized errors?    

How do you fight fossilized errors?

BRAHIM S
France

Thank you so much Lana��for bringing this to the forum

I have to deal with those fossilised errors as I myself mainly teach adults in their thirties and forties
Obviousy I cannot ignore such errors ... after all most of my students, particularly the upper intermediate and advanced ones express the need �to be corrected
The whole issue �has to do with the difference between learning and acquisition. They have all learnt that the third person singular requires a final "s", �but will make mistakes like "he know / he don�t know", same thing with the past �"she didn �t came", �and so on ....; and just today one of my students gave a nice 15 min presentation but made the same mistake��"more easy than..."�3 times
Knowing the rules �is one thing, putting them into practice and using them accurately is another thing

To me it will always depend on the setting, if it is speaking or writing
In writing, �the more advanced my students are, the stricter I am when such mistakes are made
It �s more difficult when it comes to speaking: I often focus on fluency more than accuracy
Sometimes however, I point out such mistakes, work on them, do some comparisons with their native language �French �, when necessary,�
My conclusion however is that no matter how long you will work and explain those �fossilised errors, nothing will guarantee that they will not be made again .... But it is our job to work on those imperfections

23 Apr 2009     

< Previous   1    2