Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Dictation    

Dictation

Teacher Khalid
Jordan

Dictation

Hello , Everybody

I need your opinions on the way I dictate my six grade students . As I tell them a day after to prepare certain words for dictation , and on the next day I dictate them word by word and they write .

Is it a recommended way of dictation ?
Are there any suggestions ?

Thank you

22 Apr 2009      

ggroneet
Israel

I give my students a list of words (always in contact with what we learn) a week before the dictation.

I also say the words aloud and the students write them. Sometimes I make a worksheet with fill in sentences and let them fill the sentences with the words they learned.
That �s another way for me to test reading comprehension and writing (spelling misktakes)

22 Apr 2009     

sldiaz
Panama

Dictation is not one of my favorite evaluation activities, however, sometimes I dictate sentences to my six grade students.  Of course, the sentences include words from the vocabulary we are studying and words they already know (from previous vocabularies).  I also give my students a small chart with the evaluation criteria i use for each sentence..if u are interested I can send u the format so u can see it, just send me a pm and i will send it to u by email

22 Apr 2009     

alex1968
Greece

A great way to do dictation is the following (I read this in a book once, so it �s not my idea)

It �s called CHAIN DICTATION

1) Read the word/sentence.
2) Ss write it down.
3) Then they pass their paper to the right/behind them (depending on your class layout) so there is a chain.
4)everyone has the new paper/notebook in front of them
5) the check the word/sentence and make any corrections they think are necessary.
6) Now, on this paper they write down the new word/sentence.
7)Pass paper/notebook to next person.
8) Now they have a new notebook /paper with 2 words/sentences.  They must check both words/sentences making any corrections they think necessary. 
9) Continue this until all words/sentences are read!
10) you take in papers/notebooks & have a quick look (don �t be very thorough!)

It �s time consuming but fun and children have the role of both Ss & teacher!

Another way I do dictation is: read all words/ sentences.
Take in the papers/notebooks
Redistribute back to Ss so that everyone has someone else �s dictation.
They can use their books to correct their classmates notebooks.

Sometimes I get them to check their own dictations and correct their own mistakes.

By correcting their own/each others dictations they practice reading and writing again!

22 Apr 2009     

hazi
Russian Federation

I teach to adults and give them a dictation at the end of every unit to check vocabulary and grammar. So I prefer dictating not single words, but sentences. The first part of the dictation is in English (they write in English), the second - in L1 (the students translate into English).

Chain dictation is a great idea, thank you, Alex:)

22 Apr 2009     

class centre
Belarus

In our system we use a special manual called WORD BUILDING. It has from 20 to 42 pages according to the sts � age. They have to write the vocabulary word a certain number of times, match the picture and the word, fill in the blanks, do some other sorts of exercises to remember the words. At the end of the book there is a dictation list. As soon as the student is ready, heshe lets me know, I come to hisher place ( see my avatar. it is possible to work individually in my group) called "office" for the dictation. I dictate those previuosly drilled words, watch the st write them. Then I give the manual to the student and pass to the next "office" The student silently and indivulually checks hisher results. If the result is higher than 90%, the st may go on. If it is less than 90%, the work should be repeated next time. It works marvellously! The sts never make more than 2-4 mistakes. Besides, while checking the result, they review the spelling once more... We have no problems AT ALL with spelling.
Good luck!
Natasha

22 Apr 2009